circular polarizer filters

12 years 7 months ago #130038 by Monitor Boy
Do you think it is best to leave your CP filters attached to your lens all the time and just turn the filter on or off as needed or to leave it off and put it on only when you intend to use it?

12 years 7 months ago #130044 by Tgauge9
I do not leave mine on. You also can not turn it off, if you mean like turning off a switch.

12 years 7 months ago #130046 by Baydream
The filter will reduce the light getting to your sensor making your lens slower. Best to use it when needed and remove it when not needed.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #130048 by Monitor Boy
well if you rotate it to use the filter then you should be able to rotate it to turn the filter so it isnt polarized right?

12 years 7 months ago #130051 by Tgauge9
Yes you turn the filter for desired effect but it still is darking the image when its on. So you will be losing some light with it always on.

12 years 7 months ago #130054 by Baydream
Look at the filter. No matter which way you turn it, it is dark. That reduces light passage.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #130055 by Monitor Boy
Oh ok. Thank you guys. :) It never really gets turn off...unless I take it off from the lens.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #130109 by Henry Peach
If it worked all the time then I might be more inclined to leave it on, but it's effectiveness depends not only on adjusting the filter, but it's orientation to the light source. With really wide lenses I often see the polarizing effect fade and strengthen across the photo. That's no good. If I'm not getting a good polarizing effect I'd rather not have it cutting down on the light.
12 years 7 months ago #130127 by cod
Most polarizers lose 1 to 2 stops of light depending on how you have set them. If you are not "polarizing the light" then you are essentially using your filter as a 1 stop neutral density filter. I wouldn't do that without good reason.

As has been pointed out, the degree of polarization depends on the direction relative to the light source. Polarization typically works best when you are shooting at right angles to the light source. When shooting almost parallel to the light source the polarizer is pointless. Again you're losing light for no reason. And as Henry pointed out, since the degree of polarization depends on angle, wide angle shots can be messed up by by a polarizer.

As with all filters, polarizers have a particular function. Use them deliberately when you know you need that function. Don't use them the rest of the time.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024