Do's and Don'ts of Portraits

11 years 6 months ago #255429 by Pamela
I'm working on my portrait skills and would like to get some feed back from some of you. Please share any do's and don'ts that you can think of.

One question I had was relating to extreme angles. Is there any rule of thumb against taking a portrait of someone who is looking down at you while they are standing, and you are close to the ground shooting up at them? Or how about you are up on latter and shooting down at them looking up?

I'm trying to built a portfolio of 'different' looking portraits. Honestly I would love to figure out a type of portraits that is unique and isn't something you see everyday. I was reading that successful photographers are going to be the ones who establish their own path that makes them stand apart from others.

Thank you for your help.

Pamela

11 years 6 months ago #255436 by John Landolfi
Be carteful that "different " doesn't become "weird". Try shooting up at someone, and see what mean. Very difficult to carry off successfully. Look at Richard Avedon's portraits for inspiration :cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago #255512 by rmeyer7
There are very few situations where I've found that looking up at someone makes a flattering portrait. Sometimes if your angle is just slightly below them it works -- I just did a session last weekend where I used that kind of angle and I liked the outcome. So did the client, which is even more important! But usually that only works if someone has a model's physique. If your client has even the slightest double chin, for example, the lower angle can accentuate it and be very unflattering.

As far as dos and don'ts that I would always follow:
DO focus very precisely on the eyes
DO blur the background, unless there's something specific about the background that you want to show (e.g., edgy portraits with graffiti in the background, amazing landscape that adds to the photo without distracting from your subject, etc.)
DO try to get catchlights in the eyes
DO learn as much as you can about lighting
DO learn how to pose people to suit them best (i.e., differences between masculine and feminine poses, etc.)
DO practice basic portrait skills, before you start trying to get too unique/different -- when you're technically sound, it'll make your more creative portraits much better

I guess those are all dos rather than don'ts. So um...don't do the opposite! ;)

11 years 6 months ago #255526 by Darrell
:agree:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 6 months ago #255533 by Scotty
Do not cut off limbs at the joints, such as elbows.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #255666 by Henry Peach

Pamela wrote: One question I had was relating to extreme angles. Is there any rule of thumb against taking a portrait of someone who is looking down at you while they are standing, and you are close to the ground shooting up at them? Or how about you are up on latter and shooting down at them looking up?

Rules of thumb aren't for people

"trying to built a portfolio of 'different' looking portraits. ...a type of portraits that is unique and isn't something you see everyday."

;)

There's definitely plenty of advice out there on how to take nice everyday portraits. Learn those rules. Break them when it makes the photo better.

Pay attention to perspective. The closer you are to your subject the more slight adjustments in camera position really change body proportions. If you are far away from your subject camera position changes don't change proportions much. That's why longer focal lengths are often preferred by portrait photographers.

For even proportions have the camera level and pointing in the middle of your subject. For instance taking a full body standing portrait you would point towards the waistline. As you raise the camera the head starts becoming bigger and the feet smaller, and the other way around as the camera is lowered. When shooting relatively level make sure people don't raise their chin. They do it to stretch the neck, but it makes the forehead smaller, the chin bigger, and the view is up the nose.

Shooting from above can make the body look smaller relative to the face, and that's good for thinning. Also the subject looks up which is usually flattering to the neck and chin.

Watch out for close-ups from below. You get a nice view up your subject's nostrils. I rarely shoot portraits from below unless I want something on the ceiling or up high in the background. Shooting up with a background of beautiful architecture can look great. Shooting up in a way that makes the subject's feet look huge may not appeal ( www.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,20050425,00.html ).
11 years 6 months ago #255804 by BrandyMaeD
I read a really interesting artice the other day that helped me loads. It warned about taking photos from a lower angel for severalreasons. 1. You can see up the nose. 2. It makes people look heavier. 3. It said it can make the shot awkward and make their bodies look odd.

It also said don't be afraid to get all up close and person. In the past I stood at a distance. Now I get up close to the client and get a tight shot. I've noticed that my photos look a whole lot better.

Back to the above/below debate, it also suggested taking a step stool and shooting slightly downward. This tip also worked for me.

Good luck! Play around and see what workes best for you!

11 years 6 months ago #256742 by shawncooper78
Potrait photography is not as easy as it seems, some beginners think that they have an object whom they can mould according to them. However they fail to preserve the naturality of the shot. Having a casual conversation before the shoot will definetely help you out in making your subject comfortable while looking at the lense. If you are clicking them in a mood looking away from the lense, give them some object to look.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024