Anyone can take a picture

11 years 1 month ago #277386 by JudyK
I have learned in the past couple weeks that anyone can take a picture but taking a picture does not a photographer make. There is so much to learn and where to start? I read my manual, or at least try, it is hard to read something when you don't have a good understanding of what the words mean. I don't have a grasp on aperature, ISO speed, white balance. I am experiencing an extreme sense of intimidation. This isn't something you can learn in a matter of days, weeks or even months. I am beginning to think it takes years. This is something you have to be very serious about and dedicated to. Neither of those are my issue, finding the time to invest in learning the art, I will no longer call it a hobby, it is a combination of learning the skills required and having an artistic eye, finding the time - - -unless you are fortunate enough to be able to dedicate yourself, how does one learn photography?

I clicked on the link for suggested books only to find that it took me to a list containing books, not book, singular but plural, and I have no idea which one to buy.

Can anyone recommend a good book for a beginner who needs things defined in everyday language?

Am I the only one who feels like this?

11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #277388 by Baydream
You may want to take a look at Adorama TV. They have a lot of videos on so many subjects. After that, think about the areas where you still have questions.

www.adorama.com/alc/category/AdoramaTV

Bryan Peterson books are always a good read. You we see some of his videos at the site above.

You may also look for a Camera Club in your area. They can be a great source of information, workshops, etc.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: JudyK
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #277389 by hghlndr6
:agree: Lots of good stuff on Adorama TV. Much of it can also be found on this forum in the "Tips" section.

I'll recommend Bryan peterson's "Understanding Photography Field Guide."
Chapter 2 = Exposure
Chapter 3 = Aperture
Chapter 4 = Shutter Speed & ISO.

And the rest of the book is full of useful stuff. I like Bryan; he still uses some old school ideas. ;)

www.amazon.com/Bryan-Petersons-Understan...derstanding+exposure
11 years 1 month ago #277398 by JudyK
Thank you, I used your link, went straight to Amazon and ordered the book.

Much appreciated advice.

:thx:

11 years 1 month ago #277427 by Pixelchix
They are very good books. He is so easy to understand

11 years 1 month ago #277433 by Rob pix4u2
Judy - aperture is easier to understand if you relate it to the pupil of your eye- in low light your pupil expands open wider and in bright light it contracts smaller to acommadate the light level present at the time. In lower light your camera lens needs to be open wider and in bright light open less to let enough light in to make an image.
ISO is sensitivity to light. and works with the principle that higher numbers are increased light sensitivity over lower numbers. This works in combination with aperture to produce a well exposed image- one that isn't too light (overexposed) or too dark (underexposed)

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 1 month ago #277435 by JudyK
Thank you Rob. That does make it easier to comprehend. Now I just have to remember it, the aperature, got it, ISO, will take a bit longer to retain and apply.

11 years 1 month ago #277452 by KCook
Rob's explanation of ISO is spot on. :thumbsup:

Back in the days of film there were very rigorous rules about the selection of ISO. Many of today's authors continue that tradition. But digital (versus film) does make a difference. ISO selection is no longer so critical. So while the principles of ISO still apply, we need not stress over them like we used to.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 1 month ago #277469 by icepics
You're right I think, it takes years - just as it does with any craft or hobby or skill, it doesn't exactly develop overnight. Although it is possible to take a picture by just pushing a button, I guess that's why Kodak made instamatics!

I'm a longtime film photographer and what was easier in a way when I learned was not having the internet - there seems to be a lot of less than accurate info. online and hopefully you won't have to unlearn things as you go. But what might have been more challenging in the past was learning thru a lot of trial and error - I think I just got out with my camera and figured things out (and spent time back at the camera shop asking questions).

Kelly is right about the ISO being a variable with a digital camera - it stands for International Standards Organization and defines a standardized way of measuring light sensitivity. When I'm using a film camera the ISO is determined by what speed film I put in the camera, and I use the same setting as a starting point when using my digital camera - 100 or 200 ISO outdoors, 400 indoors (or possibly outdoors if overcast) - then I raise the ISO as needed in lower/less light.

Rob gave a good description in how the aperture works. The f stops are fractions - f8 is 1/8 the focal length of the lens. As you go to f2 and open the lens more your aperture or lens opening is the size of 1/2 the focal length; f16 is only 1/16 of the length. If you look into a lens you may be able to see the blades open and close and see the size of the aperture change. I usually set my cameras at f8 as a midrange starting point.

The shutter speed is also measured in fractions - my starting point is 1/125 which is where I usually set it using cameras hand-held to keep a sharp image. It's adjusted so as the shutter moves slower, such as 1/60th of a second, it lets in more light; as it moves faster such as 1/500th of a sec. it lets in less light.

I use the meter to tell me how to adjust my camera. If it's showing there isn't enough or there's too much light, I need to adjust the aperture or shutter speed or ISO or some combination of those, to get an accurate exposure (with film I only change two of those settings unless I change film midroll). That's what probably will take time to learn.

Also I think it takes time to learn about the elements of composition and figure out how to use those concepts in taking photos, as well as figuring out how to get in your viewfinder what you want in your photo.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #277480 by Joves
The big thing I learned over the years is that it is all about the shadow&light, and how it affect a subject. Sometimes you have to wait on them to get a scene, or subject so that it has that wow effect. This is where patience comes in which few have, and fewer seem to want to have. Here is a little video I ran across on another forum that explains three basics of how three of the settings work.

11 years 1 month ago #277486 by Tuscan Muse
I've been taking pictures for years, but I am just now beginning to understand photography and learning more than where the click button is on the camera. It is overwhelming, but I try not to pressure myself into knowing everything all at once.

"How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!"

Thank you for the book recommendations. Headed to Amazon now.
11 years 1 month ago #277492 by JudyK
Very informative video, thanks for sharing. I will definitely watch it more than once and most likely check out other videos he has made that could also be beneficial.

11 years 1 month ago #277493 by JudyK
Thank you all for sharing you learned knowledge with me. I did order the recommended book but am sure this is not the last of questions. It is great to know that there are people with experience at my fingertips LOL, pun intended.

9 years 4 months ago #416805 by stuartsbarbie
There is so much good advice here, I don't know if my 4 cents will make any difference.  There are as many books out on photography as there are photographers.  I have not been doing this DSLR thing for very long either.  I was so overwhelmed when I started (not that I am not still).  I went to the library and checked out a lot of different books, by a lot of different authors.  I did not "read" all of them.  I scanned them to see whose writing I understood and liked the best.  Then I stuck with that author and his/her books and have really learned a lot.

Hope this helps and welcome to the jungle.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416827 by John Landolfi
And who is that?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024