Online photography degree?

9 years 7 months ago #397681 by Ted Baker
My sister just asked me yesterday that she would like to get into photography and my opinion of getting a online degree in photography.  I told her I was self taught and didn't have much opinion or knowledge of online degree's.  I'm wondering if anyone here might have an opinion on this that you can share please?  

Thank you

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397817 by garyrhook
If she already has a demonstrated predeliction for art, and simply needs to study the mechanics of photography, find local classes and online resources.

If there's no history at all, get a camera and start shooting, then find local classes and online resources, and then a mentor.

Photography degree? 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #397977 by ShadowWalker
What is she looking to get out of photography?  Hobby or for hire one day?

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubookoo
9 years 7 months ago #397995 by ubookoo
Clients never once asked me to see a degree. They want to see the quality of your work, your price structure, and in situations like weddings they want to know they can stand to be around you for 4 to 10 hours. :-)

9 years 7 months ago #398041 by KCook
Local classes or workshops make more sense to me.  Though the online degree might help in landing an assistant position with an established photographer.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago #398180 by Ted Baker
First off, thank you for the answers. How about Meetup up groups?   This wasn't around when I got started and I have noticed some groups that focus on getting started in Photography.  Now these are all for pay groups, but the price is only $10 to $25 per Meetup. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398204 by PT Talker
I don't want to make a big sales pitch here, but signing up on Photographytalk.com will give her access to a lot of good resources, including photographers from fellow novices to professional willing to offer advice. Free membership gives her a lot, and if she wants access to courses in lighting, composition, landscapes, etc. the fee for PT+ membership is minimal.

I think that PT members may have access to some discounts at online universities, as well.

We'd love to have her as a member of the community, either way. Just food for thought.

Doc

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398262 by icepics
I don't know that there are actually online degrees from websites - for that she'd need to enroll in a college, whether a university for a Bachelor's or a community college for an Associate degree (or community colleges also offer some one year programs that issues a certificate). The university near me offers photography as one of its few mandatory dual majors with business being recommended as the other major. There are online courses as part of a program that combines that with taking classes on campus (class might meet once a month and the rest is done online).

Most any websites online that claim to offer some sort of 'degree' usually just seem to issue a certificate of completion (that would seem to only verify that you took their courses). There are some schools (not necessarily photography related) that call themselves universities but are actually run as a for-profit business, so she needs to check anything out that she's considering.

For photography she wouldn't necessarily need a degree as most photographers are in business for themselves or contract as freelance. She could take adult ed. courses that are for personal enrichment. I haven't gone on a photo walk but that could be an option to try and see what it's like. Is there a camera club in your area? or any community art centers that offer classes?

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #398294 by Ted Baker
Thank you all!

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #398520 by KZAM
YouTube is your friend 

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024