Wedding questions!

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #400305 by Georgian-Si-Valentina-Mihaila
Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding a small wedding that I have to photograph at the end of this month. I am a beginner and this is my first time. They were not going to hire anyone anyway. So I offer to do it to get some experience. No pressure ....but I want to give them decent pictures. I will only photograph the church ceremony and the party afterwords .They allow flash on both location.

My equipment: Canon 60D
                       TAmron 24-70, 2.8 lens
                       Canon 18-55, 3.5 IS and 55-200 IS kit lens
                       Canon 50mm 1.8 Prime
                       Younguo YN 565EX E-ttl speedlite and two YN560-III

Question 1: What lens should I use? Can I use Tamron 24-70, 2.8 for everything?
Question 2: I will use on camera E-TTL speedlight. Shoud I set up 1 or 2 speed lights as slaves placed in two opposite corners of the room? Ceilings are tall and vaulted (A shape).

Thank you and I am looking forward to hear from you!!

Georgian

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #400346 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Georgian-Si-Valentina-Mihaila
9 years 6 months ago #400368 by garyrhook
The 24-70 will serve you reasonably well for almost everything. It will go short enough to cover most everything you need. The 18-55 is wider, but you likely will not need it.

As for lights, yes, opposite corners pointing at the ceiling. Get there early to test out how much power you need to get a reasonable amount of light. As for an on-camera flash, only if it's pointing up at all times. Never at your subject.

The downside of only having 70 mm is that you won't be able to get a candid shot without being close enough to be obvious. That's where the 70-200 becomes very convenient (he says, having learned from experience).

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #400391 by photobod
If the church is light enough I would be tempted to not use flash, with an f2.8 lens and maybe go up to iso800 you could manage it,flash can be very distracting especialy three going off, and in a wedding service as well as being expected to get the shots, you are also expected to be invisible.
no problem at the party afterwards, go for it, but dont forget to take some without flash just to try and capture the ambience.
if you can try to borrow a back up camera and a back up flash, the best equipment can break down and you really want that experience.
Good luck and above all enjoy yourself, its a vocation not a job !!!

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

9 years 6 months ago #400410 by Georgian-Si-Valentina-Mihaila
   Thank you so much for all the valuable advises. I will go to a regular service at that church and ask for permission to take some pictures without the flash. I will post a few pics from this wedding and see what you think. 
   Does any of you know any website to make a nice photo albums? I tried Blurb just for my family. The albums are nice...but not "wedding nice"! I am looking for leather or substitute covers and tick pages.

Best regards,
Georgian 

9 years 6 months ago #400415 by rmeyer7
As Gary mentioned, a 70-200 f/2.8 lens would be a nice addition to your gear for a wedding, particularly for candids.  If you don't mind spending the money to rent one, you can usually find local rental shops with pretty reasonable prices.

Just a guess here, but do you happen to be in the Houston area?  Your profile pic looked kind of Texan to me (I live in Katy), and I noticed you also had posted a photo of IAH.  If you do live in the Houston area, a rental place that I've found to be good is  www.photorentalsource.com/ .  They're right off of I-10 in West Houston.

Another plus is that you can rent a lens from them for a whole week, for not too much more than their weekend price.  So you can either get it early and practice with it, or get it a day or two before the wedding, and then also have it to play with for a few extra days. :)

As for albums, I'd look into either Mpix or Miller's Professional Imaging .  Both the same company, but Mpix is more geared to the enthusiast, hobbyist, and amateur while Miller's is more pro. But both have great quality, so look at the wedding categories on both sites and just try to find something that fits the couple's style.

9 years 6 months ago #400416 by garyrhook
Can't comment on anything but the what is in the US. You will probably want a professional lab:

Miller's Lab
ProDPI  (perhaps your best bet?)
Pounds
BWC
Whitehouse

Pretty sure I've seen elegant binding and packaging from at least a few of these. Since it costs nothing to open an account with any of them, do so now so that you are ready.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #402202 by Georgian-Si-Valentina-Mihaila
Thank you rmeyer7, you nail it! I live in The Woodlands area. I am looking for a Tamron telephoto lens on ebay. I really like my 24-70 2.8 Tamron. My plan is to keep the kit lenses as back up, play or when I need IS. Sorry for the late response, I was out of town lately.

Best regards
Georgian

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #402968 by rmeyer7

Georgian-Si-Valentina-Mihaila wrote: Thank you rmeyer7, you nail it! I live in The Woodlands area. I am looking for a Tamron telephoto lens on ebay. I really like my 24-70 2.8 Tamron. My plan is to keep the kit lenses as back up, play or when I need IS. Sorry for the late response, I was out of town lately.

Best regards
Georgian

No worries on the late response -- I've been so busy I didn't even check for a reply until today. Sounds like you have the same Tamron that I have, which I like very much too.  When it comes to looking for a used lens though, you might want to try some sources other than eBay. KEH is generally your best bet, and a close second would be the Used Gear sections at either Adorama or B&H . All three will give you accurate ratings on what condition their used gear is in, which you might not get from an eBay seller.

If you want to inspect and test used lenses instead of buying sight-unseen, Houston Camera Exchange might be a good place to check out as well. They tend to sell for a few dollars more than the sites linked above, but by not paying for shipping sometimes it turns out to be a wash.

One other thing when it comes to buying third-party glass -- read reviews before choosing one. You might see one that's 70-200 f/2.8 for a much cheaper price than another with the same range and aperture. There will likely be good reasons for the price difference! I use the review section on fredmiranda.com for that kind of research. Bottom line, just because the Tamron lens I have now is excellent, that doesn't tell me much about other Tamrons. Each one needs to be researched.

9 years 6 months ago #403599 by Georgian-Si-Valentina-Mihaila
Thank you much for your info. I've just ordered a Tamron 70-200 2.8 from KEH.com. I can't wait to get it and use it for the wedding. I think I am all set with Tamron 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. I also have a cheap Canon 50mm 1.8. How high ISO do you think I can go with Tamron without having major issues with noise? Thanks again!

Georgian

9 years 6 months ago #403645 by garyrhook
This new lens is not going to change your acceptable ISO range. It will be the same as with the 24-70.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024