Whats the best zoom lens when getting started?

9 years 7 months ago #402618 by Benny13
I'm looking for some recommendations, I have just about $1200 to spend on a zoom lens for Nikon mount.  I currently have a D7000, but might be upgrading to a D7100 this holiday.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402631 by garyrhook

Benny13 wrote: I'm looking for some recommendations, I have just about $1200 to spend on a zoom lens for Nikon mount.  I currently have a D7000, but might be upgrading to a D7100 this holiday.  

Those are both DX cameras, so upgrading is irrelevant.

You do not indicate what you prefer to shoot. Nor what brands you are willing to consider.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Benny13
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #402751 by Aaron56
Yup.
This is not a bad idea. Anyhow, one thing I want to clear here that the d7100 is a pixel upgrade, not a performance upgrade. This is true that d7100's AF is second to none among all nikon DSLRs nowadays. 

9 years 7 months ago #402758 by Stealthy Ninja
D7000's AF is pretty bad though. Is the D7100 better?
9 years 7 months ago #402765 by Shadowfixer1

Benny13 wrote: I'm looking for some recommendations, I have just about $1200 to spend on a zoom lens for Nikon mount.  I currently have a D7000, but might be upgrading to a D7100 this holiday.  

Easy answer for me. The Nikon 18-200 VR hands down. I still have the first 18-200 bought in Atlanta, GA. I have taken many, many images with it over the years. That is the solution for me, but you haven't stated what you want or need to shoot so the answer for you may be different. I you want to shoot low light, street or birds and wildlife would influence the answer.
9 years 6 months ago #402973 by Benny13
So helpful, thank you all.  I don't have any in particular that I focus on when I get out and take photos.  Honestly I'm all over the place and taking photos of what ever catches my eye.   I would like to stick with Nikon, just because I have been told it's a good idea to stick with the same brand.

Which lenses would you recommend to someone who is just starting out and doesn't know what they like?

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403005 by garyrhook
Depends upon what you find acceptable in image quality, but IMO it's I still think that it's hard to beat the Nikon 18-200 for a general walk-around lens. I took one on a trip to Italy and absolutely loved it, even though I didn't know what I was doing at the time.

Look in this album:  www.photographytalk.com/photo-galleries/.../album?albumid=23611

These were all taken with that lens (and have admittedly undergone serious editing) but I think it's a fine lens. You can find it used for around $400 now.

I'd insert the images here, but once again, the forum software fails to allow immediate access to uploaded images...

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403045 by Joves
While I have never owned the 18-200 VR myself, I know everyone that has one loves it. So go to KEH to get a good used one for less money. At least then you will have a lot of range to play with, and the ability to go from short to long when needed in an instant. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024