I see no difference with UV filter on lens vs no filter.

12 years 11 months ago #41407 by NormNYC
I just bought a UV filter as I was told this was a must have filter. However, I don't notice any difference with the filter on the camera vs off.

What is a UV suppose to do any way? I did a search here and found a few of you talking about the filter is used as protection, but specifically what does the UV filter side of the filter do any way?

12 years 11 months ago #41415 by crystal
IMO, there is no point to a UV filter except to protect your lens. I have never used a UV filter and never will. It's not a must have. It's nice to have if you want it, but it's not a must have.
12 years 11 months ago #41420 by chasrich
I believe it has more to do with film rather than digital...

photo.net/equipment/filters/

UV filters are used to reduce haziness created by ultraviolet light. A UV filter is mostly transparent to visible light, and can be left on the lens for nearly all shots. UV filters are often used for lens protection, much like clear filters. A strong UV filter, such as a Haze-2A or UV17, cuts off some visible light in the violet part of the spectrum, and so has a pale yellow color; these strong filters are more effective at cutting haze,[2][3] and can reduce purple fringing in digital cameras.[4] Strong UV filters are also sometimes used for warming color photos taken in shade with daylight-type film.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter#Clear_and_ultraviolet

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #41464 by Baydream

chasrich wrote: I believe it has more to do with film rather than digital...

photo.net/equipment/filters/

UV filters are used to reduce haziness created by ultraviolet light. A UV filter is mostly transparent to visible light, and can be left on the lens for nearly all shots. UV filters are often used for lens protection, much like clear filters. A strong UV filter, such as a Haze-2A or UV17, cuts off some visible light in the violet part of the spectrum, and so has a pale yellow color; these strong filters are more effective at cutting haze,[2][3] and can reduce purple fringing in digital cameras.[4] Strong UV filters are also sometimes used for warming color photos taken in shade with daylight-type film.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter#Clear_and_ultraviolet

:goodpost: I use a UV on one lens and a Sky on the other, but only to protect the lenses.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #41627 by Stealthy Ninja
Yeh these days they're just for protection.

NOT DROP PROTECTION!!!

I met a guy on the weekend who used a UV filter for protecting the front of his lens. I told him to turn his hood around because the hood will give him protection. He said "that's what the filter is for".

I'll tell ya for free that a hood will protect your lens from bumps and even drops a lot more than a piece of glass will. In fact if you drop a lens with a filter on the front the glass on the filter has a higher chance of shattering and the shards damaging the front element of the lens than the front element has of shattering itself. The front element of the lens is usually very strong and actually not that much to replace if anything goes wrong.

HOWEVER, for salt spray, sand/dust and even moisture sealing a UV/Clear filter is a good thing to have.

I have a UV filter on my 70-200 only. I had one on my 24-70 but took it off once and forgot to put it back on. LOL I'm not for or against protection filters, just use them when I think I need them.
12 years 11 months ago #41690 by arkady001
Another one here for using filters for protection - but again only in conjunction with the supplied lens-hood.
I once tripped and fell into a muddy ditch while carrying both cameras, which got tangled-up and went lens first into the mud from six feet with my whole body-weight propelling them down.

Both lens hoods snapped off and were driven up the lens barrels of my 24-70 and 80-200. Both UV filters had minor scratches from the debris in the mud.
I am in no doubt that the lens hoods acted as 'crumple-zones', soaking up the impact and preventing damage to the lens' mechanisms, while the filters prevented the front elements from being damaged.

Any loss of image-quality caused by the addition of a UV or protection filter is so negligable that you'll only notice it in certain conditions (at night with point light-sources in the frame being the main one).

12 years 11 months ago #41692 by Baydream

arkady001 wrote: Another one here for using filters for protection - but again only in conjunction with the supplied lens-hood.
I once tripped and fell into a muddy ditch while carrying both cameras, which got tangled-up and went lens first into the mud from six feet with my whole body-weight propelling them down.

Both lens hoods snapped off and were driven up the lens barrels of my 24-70 and 80-200. Both UV filters had minor scratches from the debris in the mud.
I am in no doubt that the lens hoods acted as 'crumple-zones', soaking up the impact and preventing damage to the lens' mechanisms, while the filters prevented the front elements from being damaged.

Any loss of image-quality caused by the addition of a UV or protection filter is so negligable that you'll only notice it in certain conditions (at night with point light-sources in the frame being the main one).

:goodpost: Nothing like a great example to bring home the message.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #456142 by louiskf
It is a old question but I still want to say something.

1, Before when we use film camera, UV filters do reduce the haziness by ultraviolet, if you do not use it, your photo may get blue cast; but now as we use digital camera more often(SLR and DSLR), CMOS Sensor is not so sensitive to ultraviolet any more, so unless you take photo at high attitude area, on the beach or snow place… there is no much influence no matter you use UV or not.
2, It Can protect your lens from water, dust, smudge, sand and so on, especially when there is multi-coated on your expensive lens. This function is really more important
than UV-resistance. As the protector with or without UV-resistance function are
the same price, people always think it is better to have it.

I want to know more about Fliters in United States, who can help?

8 years 5 months ago #458556 by Ian Stone
UV filters are a waste of $$ IMO

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #459264 by James F

Ian Stone wrote: UV filters are a waste of $$ IMO

Pretty much what I keep reading.  Personally, I'm not going to waste my money on one. 

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #461058 by Frisco
Save your $$, UV filters are a joke 

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024