What are good books to learn the basics??

12 years 10 months ago #79057 by Photo Plex
I'm really new to photography and want to read and learn as much as possible about general photography. Particularly aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc...

Can anyone recommend some good books to help me along the way?

12 years 10 months ago #79061 by sunsusie
Understanding Exposure, was my first book. It's a wonderful book.

12 years 10 months ago #79063 by Photo Plex

sunsusie wrote: Understanding Exposure, was my first book. It's a wonderful book.

Thanks, who's the author?

12 years 10 months ago #79065 by Henry Peach
All the how-to books I learned on were film specific, and while the fundamentals remain the same I think it would be worth learning about them as they apply to the tools you are using. When I was making the switch from film to digital I found this website very helpful: www.cambridgeincolour.com/ They cover basics such as exposure and how the meter works in easy to read articles with examples, and go on to cover more advanced topics too.
12 years 10 months ago #79067 by sunsusie

Photo Plex wrote:

sunsusie wrote: Understanding Exposure, was my first book. It's a wonderful book.

Thanks, who's the author?

Bryan Peterson

12 years 10 months ago #79121 by denger

:agree: its a good book for getting an understandable explanation of exposure, aperture, shutter speed and ISO and how they all relate and link together. Note that most books for photography will cover this material as well in a general sense, but understanding exposure tends to give a more complete explanation than they do.

12 years 10 months ago #79131 by E note
Everything you need is available on the Internet. I would just google what you wanted to know and you'll find hundreds of articles to give you info.

I would save the book purchases for things like editing software. Example, you buy Photoshop elements, I'd buy a book so u can get the most out of it.

12 years 10 months ago #79141 by Armon Photos
but books don't crash, need power and are easily portable too (far lighter than laptops)

I do agree that the net is a fantastic resource for info - forums and websites - there is a lot out there that one can find. But I do think that few choice books on the shelf are good for quicker refrencing, on the go work and for being easier to read than text on a screen.

12 years 10 months ago #79153 by denger
Books don't crash! Good one, but not really a reason to forgo the net. As a reference for looking back, once you learn the basics, you won't forget. :)

12 years 10 months ago #79171 by robbie

Photo Plex wrote: I'm really new to photography and want to read and learn as much as possible about general photography. Particularly aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc...

Can anyone recommend some good books to help me along the way?

Thing is will you read the book?!!!Hope you aren`t like me,buy the book,look at,forget it!!
I buy books more for specific fixes so I can use it as a reference,here is a site for the beginner...
www.adorama.com/alc/?term=learning%20center
Posting to a forum is important part of your training but make sure you ask for 'strong' critique
because if I don`t see you asking for 'strong' critique if I see things that need fixing i`ll just pass it by.
The meaning of 'strong' critique is that you are willing to have your image disected and all the flaws
as well as good points revealed.

12 years 10 months ago #79193 by Nikonjan
I have many books but several years ago I bought one called Digital Photographers handbook, by Tom Ang It talks about equipment, techniques, effects and troubleshooting your photos.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 10 months ago #79237 by effron

E note wrote: Everything you need is available on the Internet. I would just google what you wanted to know and you'll find hundreds of articles to give you info.

I would save the book purchases for things like editing software. Example, you buy Photoshop elements, I'd buy a book so u can get the most out of it.

You can have both......

www.adorama.com/alc/
www.digital-photography-school.com/

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #79317 by Nikonjan

Armon Photos wrote: but books don't crash, need power and are easily portable too (far lighter than laptops)

I do agree that the net is a fantastic resource for info - forums and websites - there is a lot out there that one can find. But I do think that few choice books on the shelf are good for quicker refrencing, on the go work and for being easier to read than text on a screen.

I agree with you. I love my books and photo magazines that i can just sit on the couch and read, it's more comfortable that way too.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #79341 by Trudehell
A very good friend of mine gave me Scott Kelby's The Digital Photography Book .

Other than that, I'd tip you about visiting the library and looking through books there - and then bying what ever books you want/need.

A user friendly computer first requires a friendly user.
Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #79345 by MLKstudios
I can recommend a good course.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024