Would you move from the Canon 7D to newer Canon 6D?

11 years 1 month ago #277644 by Dana Leeson
I've had my Canon 7D for nearly 3 years now and would like to get a new camera. I'm wondering would there be much gains to move the to 6D? I'm really on the fence here and would live some advise from perhaps some other Canon owners.

:thx2:

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #277645 by KCook
To use prime lenses, yes, I would prefer the 6D. For zooms, not so much of a difference.

no help Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 1 month ago #277745 by Dana Leeson
That's true, more things to think about. Full frame would be nice. I'll see what other responses come in. :P

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #277747 by rmeyer7
Depends what the most important factors are for you. Good AF system? Overall image quality? Low-light performance?

The AF would be the deal-breaker for me. It's also the reason I won't replace my 5D Classic with a 6D. The overall IQ would be an upgrade for both you and me compared to what we currently have. In my case, the AF simply wouldn't be a real upgrade. In your case, the AF would actually be a downgrade.

But if you don't shoot things in motion much, the IQ and low-light performance improvement you'll get from the FF sensor might be good enough reasons to consider the 6D. And then there are the "cute little novelty features" like WiFi and GPS...

11 years 1 month ago #277777 by Leilanee
Click Here
It looks like there are really just small tweaks with the body/LCD screen and a couple extra features (GPS and in-camera HDR), then there's a better ISO range and low-light ability. Overall it actually looks like the image quality is better on the 6D (although I don't know how much better), but there are some specs that are a bit of a downgrade from the 7D, like the focus points and speed of the shutter (higher max shutter speed and 8fps versus like 4.5 fps in continuous shooting).

I personally love my 7D and won't be considering an upgrade until I decide to go full-frame, but if you think the image quality of your 7D could use some improvement and you tend to shoot mainly in a low-light environment, it's probably worth the switch.

11 years 4 weeks ago #277872 by Scotty

KCook wrote: To use prime lenses, yes, I would prefer the 6D. For zooms, not so much of a difference.

no help Kelly

um what??

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 4 weeks ago #277896 by KCook

Scotty wrote:

KCook wrote: To use prime lenses, yes, I would prefer the 6D. For zooms, not so much of a difference.

no help Kelly

um what??

Know of any Canon EF-S primes? Canon primes are designed for FF, so if they are your preference you may as well be shooting FF. There are a number of Canon EF-S zooms, plus lots more from 3rd parties, so a zoom shooter may find the crop body 7D more cost effective.

practical Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 4 weeks ago #277913 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote:

Scotty wrote:

no help Kelly

um what??

Know of any Canon EF-S primes? Canon primes are designed for FF, so if they are your preference you may as well be shooting FF. There are a number of Canon EF-S zooms, plus lots more from 3rd parties, so a zoom shooter may find the crop body 7D more cost effective.

practical Kelly

Doesn't make any difference if lenses are designed for FF or not. You can still use them on a crop body.

I see your point about saving money, but that doesn't make it better at all. In fact most crop body lenses are inferior in many ways to their FF covering cousins. True though, if your only aim is to save money, then a crop body and lenses would be good. Then why not just buy a point and shoot? Save even more money! They have some pretty nice zoom lenses on them too.

:rolleyes

A lot of people buy a crop body because it's what they can afford OR they want to spend the rest of their money on good glass. Which can be wise. Therefore EF-S lenses should mainly be avoided for better lenses. Even the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS, which a lot of people call a "hidden L" because of its sharpness, isn't as good as FF lenses. I owned the 17-55 for a while and it's construction is so-so and it's not as sharp as many people make it out to be. In fact I found the 24-105 f/4 IS to be superior in most aspect apart from speed (it's f/4 not 2.8).

Oh and to answer your question:
Crop only Primes (there's probably more):
EF-S 60mm macro

Also

Sigma 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye
Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Fisheye Lens
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
11 years 4 weeks ago - 11 years 4 weeks ago #277918 by Stealthy Ninja
Now onto the topic.

Ive actually used the 6D quite a bit since my nephew has one. I personally don't like the controls on the 6D, but I'm used to having more controls on the body and not so much in the menus (went from Nikon to a 1D series body).

I agree with some of the above posters. Though I've not tried a 7D I can imagine its AF is superior to the so-so 6D. It's pretty much the same as the lower end bodies. Think 5D and 5Dii. 40-60D etc.

The 6D does have VERY GOOD IQ though. Especially in high ISO situations. It's approaching if not equaling the 5Diii and getting close to the 1Dx.

As for GPS and Wifi,wifi would be a good idea if it could control the Speedlight 600RT... but it cannot... maybe studio shooters could use it I suppose...

So yeh, if you want to shoot any sports, then the 8fps and superior AF (and reach) of the 7D is a winner.

If you shoot more static things (not sports basically) and what superior high iso and better IQ overall, then the 6D actually is very good.

If you want both, save and get a 5Diii. Don't worry about wifi and gps.
11 years 4 weeks ago #277965 by shelland
One thing that you didn't mention, what are you hoping to gain from a body upgrade that the 7D doesn't provide?

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

11 years 2 weeks ago #279346 by Dana Leeson

Leilanee wrote: Click Here
It looks like there are really just small tweaks with the body/LCD screen and a couple extra features (GPS and in-camera HDR), then there's a better ISO range and low-light ability. Overall it actually looks like the image quality is better on the 6D (although I don't know how much better), but there are some specs that are a bit of a downgrade from the 7D, like the focus points and speed of the shutter (higher max shutter speed and 8fps versus like 4.5 fps in continuous shooting).

I personally love my 7D and won't be considering an upgrade until I decide to go full-frame, but if you think the image quality of your 7D could use some improvement and you tend to shoot mainly in a low-light environment, it's probably worth the switch.

Thank you, that link was helpful :thx2:

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #328223 by Picture Ladi
It depends on what you are shooting. If you are shooting weddings or events that are usually inside with bad light then the 6D is the way to go. The IQ in low light is awesome. But if you are a sports or wildlife photographer stick with what you have.

10 years 3 months ago #328345 by Alain-De-Loor
I had a look at the 6D and did not like it at all, I would recommend leasing one for a day and try it out to see if it meets your expectations. You can't beat hands on rather than third party info

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024