Cutting cost, going with Tamron 24-70mm vs the Canon 24-70mm

10 years 1 month ago #347095 by Mayo
Both are f/2.8, however the Tamron is $1,020 vs the Canon is $2,199.  I wish I had the money for the Canon, but will have to go the Tamron route.  Has anyone picked up this Tamron and REALLY hated the lens?  

Canon 5D - Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4L
Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #347097 by Leilanee
I haven't tried that lens, but I would definitely say do not go Tamron if quality is what you want.

Have you checked to see if there's a Sigma equivalent?  Sigma is usually good at having cheaper lenses with equal quality.

10 years 1 month ago #347485 by Stealthy Ninja

Leilanee wrote: I haven't tried that lens, but I would definitely say do not go Tamron if quality is what you want.

Have you checked to see if there's a Sigma equivalent?  Sigma is usually good at having cheaper lenses with equal quality.

Tsk tsk.  Haven't tried... ;)  Mmm well if you had tried you might know the Sigma 24-70 is an "old" Sigma which isn't as good as the Tamron.  There is talk of a 24-70 f/2 OS coming from Sigma which would probably be better than the current Tamron, but the Tamron beats the current Sigma in nearly all aspects.

I debated this myself and went with Canon just because i wanted that little extra quality.  The Tamron (like a lot of newer Tamron lenses) is VERY good (especially for the money) and has IS/VR.  I'd go Tamron for sure if I wanted to save money.  That said, I did go Canon and have no regrets.  
10 years 1 month ago #348485 by Ratzbi
I own the tamron and it worth every penny!

Great Lens and for its price you cant get anything better. check out videos on youtube which compares the canon and tamron. lots of people recommend getting the tamron over the canon.

10 years 1 month ago #348503 by garyrhook
I'm not sure about the Canon version, but I own the older Nikon 28-75 f/2.8 lens, no IS, and it's wonderful. It was $400 used.

Also, in researching 70-200 f/2.8 lenses, the Tamron was considered (for the Nikon) between the VRII and the VR1. This weekend I'll be checking out a metal/glass Sigma 70-200 to see where it stands.

All that to say that Tamron is capable of making a very good product, as is Sigma, but (just like the big guys) you have to do your homework because lenses have personalities and some of them can be awfully annoying.

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #349489 by Stealthy Ninja

Ratzbi wrote: I own the tamron and it worth every penny!

Great Lens and for its price you cant get anything better. check out videos on youtube which compares the canon and tamron. lots of people recommend getting the tamron over the canon.

Yeh I agree.  The Canon 24-70 2.8L II is better than the Tamron when it comes to sharpness etc.  But for most people the Tamron is sharp enough AND it has VR/IS.
9 years 9 months ago #386425 by bgauck
I have the Tamron 24-70 lens and it works quite well. The zoom mechanism is opposite of my Canon 70-200 lens so it takes a little getting used to. I rented the Canon 24-70  for a wedding I photographed and could use the two lenses side by side. The Canon lens focuses more quickly and I think gives a slightly sharper image out to the edges of the frame. But for the money, the Tamron works fine and will until I can work the Canon lens into my budget.

9 years 8 months ago #394701 by D Hornick
I'm not sure about the Tamron, but I know that Sigma makes some really good glass options for Canons.  A good friend of mine shoots almost exclusively with Sigma vs Canon glass.  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394786 by NicoIa
I don't have the 24-70 but I am the proud owner of an old tamron 28-75 f/2.8. It is without IS, its AF performance is definitely not as good as the Canon one but it delivers all the IQ you may want, even at 2.8. In www.nicolasalviphotography.com/portfolio...scapes-architecture/ , everything but the first two and the last photo were shot with that lens.
However, as someone mentioned already, it is a good idea to try before buying

The following user(s) said Thank You: dennynguyen

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024