Canon 100-400mm vs Sigma 150-500mm lens

9 years 10 months ago #377622 by EOS_Fan
The Canon is f/4.5-5.6 and is $1699 vs the Sigma  is f/5-6.3 and is $899.  So Sigma is nearly half the cost, not as fast but 100mm more reach.  

Which of these two would you buy if you were looking for a good lens for wildlife and nature photography? 

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #377631 by Screamin Scott
What's your budget ?.... The speed difference isn't that great... Canon likely built better & better resale value should you decide to sell it. How are you displaying your images?... If you are not pixel peeping or printing large, the Sigma (or newer 150-600mm Tamron) would be the better choice... Maybe consider renting them to make up your mind as opinions are a dime a dozen & don't necessarily mean that you would have the same opinion...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #377697 by garyrhook

EOS_Fan wrote: The Canon is f/4.5-5.6 and is $1699 vs the Sigma  is f/5-6.3 and is $899.  So Sigma is nearly half the cost, not as fast but 100mm more reach.  

Which of these two would you buy if you were looking for a good lens for wildlife and nature photography? 

I don't see much of a difference f-stop wise, since you'll be outdoors anyway.

I've read that the Sigma becomes not so sharp around 250mm and out to 500mm. I had high hopes that it would be suitable for long distance, but I would fully check it out now before buying it.

To wit: I borrowed a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 from a friend, and found it noticeably soft wide open. Some googling revealed that it was not my imagination,and even my friend agreed with that assessment. So, that lens is not a candidate for me. I don't care how much it costs.

The lens may be acceptable to you, but there's a reason it's half the cost. Be diligent.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #377756 by Stealthy Ninja
9 years 10 months ago #377926 by EOS_Fan
I have the budget for either one, I'm just thinking whether it makes all that much since to spend the extra money when the Sigma will work for what I need it for. 

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #378061 by Stealthy Ninja
GO

FOR

THE

TAMRON
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #378074 by hghlndr6

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

GO

FOR

THE

TAMRON

Tamron was too slow filling the pipeline.  Got the Sigma instead.  I'm still getting used to working with it.  FWIW, here's a couple samples.  Both with a D7100 on a monopod.  (Clicking the image takes you to Flickr, where they look better)

Red-Tailed Hawk.  Shot at 350mm.  ISO 200, 1/400, f/7.1

Willets.  Shot at 500mm.  ISO 200, 1/400, f/7.1
9 years 10 months ago #378140 by Stealthy Ninja
This guy above me went for the Sigma. Turned out ok... though OP should...

Go

For

THE

TAMRON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9 years 10 months ago #378186 by garyrhook

hghlndr6 wrote: Tamron was too slow filling the pipeline.  Got the Sigma instead.  I'm still getting used to working with it.  FWIW, here's a couple samples.  Both with a D7100 on a monopod.  (Clicking the image takes you to Flickr, where they look better)

Yes, those look better at flickr.  I like the headshot, too.

This is the 150-500? What kind of processing have you done? The shots at 500mm look pretty good to me.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #378214 by effron
It was the 150-500 per exif. It gets pretty good reviews as well as the 50-500, and those shots look pretty good....;)

edit: Of course, any lens will be better on a Nikon.....B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #378217 by garyrhook

effron wrote: It was the 150-500 per exif.

D'oh! I see it now on the flickr page.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #378286 by hghlndr6

garyrhook wrote: ...This is the 150-500? What kind of processing have you done? ...

Yes, SIGMA APO 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM.  Nothing special; my normal workflow in Lightroom 5.
- basic lens correction per profile (there really isn't much distortion or CA at either end, but I do it anyway)
- tweaked WB, exp, contrast, highlights, shadows, clarity, vibrance, white point, black point
- noise reduction followed by sharpen w/mask
- a little dodge/burn
- level and crop
- post-crop vignette

Here's the 500mm shot raw with no processing other than converting to small sRGB jpeg by LR5

9 years 10 months ago #378880 by Stealthy Ninja
Let me say this again...

Go...

For...

The...

T
A
M
R
O
N
9 years 10 months ago #378958 by garyrhook

hghlndr6 wrote:

garyrhook wrote: ...This is the 150-500? What kind of processing have you done? ...

Yes, SIGMA APO 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM.  Nothing special; my normal workflow in Lightroom 5.
- basic lens correction per profile (there really isn't much distortion or CA at either end, but I do it anyway)

Thank you, very helpful. I don't find the hawk image quite as successful as the willets. They, however, came out quite nice. Good job.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #378972 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Let me say this again...

Go...

For...

The...

T
A
M
R
O
N

I agree, that tamron has me tempted.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024