Canon L Series lenses

9 years 8 months ago #386970 by Chris Ly
I'm looking at buying some a news lens and of course keep coming across the L series lenses.  If someone isn't a professional photographer, how important is having this type of lens if you aren't a professional?

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #386975 by garyrhook
It's an issue of quality, not labels. What are your expectations?

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #386984 by KCook
Nil.  None of my lenses are from the "L" family.  I would luv to have 1 or 2 of those, but I can't really justify the $$.  If my Canon was full frame, then an L lens would make more sense.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 8 months ago #387487 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote: It's an issue of quality, not labels. What are your expectations?

This.

Generally the L series lenses are sharper and have better IQ.  However some lenses are good enough in IQ to be called a "hidden L" like the 85 1.8 and (some say) the EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS.

Also, some of the newer Sigma (and even Tamron) lenses are almost as good as/as good as/better than Canon L lenses (and Nikon's top lenses for that matter).

Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC for example is almost as good (say 90%) as the Canon L 24-70 2.8L II (which I happen to own).  For a lot of people the cheaper price and the VC (IS) is worth the slight lack of Sharpness.  For me I just wanted the best so I went with the L.

The Sigma 35 1.4 and 50 1.4 ART lenses are also BETTER in IQ than the Canon/Nikon 35 1.4 and 50 1.2/4 lenses.  They lack a little in build quality, but I never regretted buying my Sigma 35 1.4 over the Canon 35 1.4L.  In fact I think I'd have regretted paying more for the L for  slightly worse IQ.

So yeh it depends on what your expectations are.
9 years 7 months ago #392712 by Wolfeye
I have three of them, currently, all zooms. I feel that you simply can't go wrong with any L series lens, if you can afford it, but you can also get some great prime lenses for much less than you'd expect. A lot also depends on the sensor you use. The 40mm STM lens is sweet on APS-C cameras, but leaves me cold full frame.

9 years 7 months ago #392772 by Baydream
I absolutely love my L series 100-400 zoom. I can get crisp shots of wildlife even at the long end. I know that other lenses may match this one but I had confidence that Canon would back this one.  

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #392793 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote: I absolutely love my L series 100-400 zoom. I can get crisp shots of wildlife even at the long end. I know that other lenses may match this one but I had confidence that Canon would back this one.  

Rumour has it that a 100-400 replacement is to be announced in September at Photokina.  Along with a 7DII.  Let's see what actually happens though.
9 years 7 months ago #397058 by Sheldon
I've used one for 2 years. Best zoom lens for bird photography and you can get them cheap on e-bay.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024