Canon Rebel T5 Advice

9 years 3 months ago #419986 by davis336
I went from my Sony Cybershot to this Rebel T5. I think I am doing everything wrong because Ive had it less than a month and I want to keep going back to my Sony. This Rebel sucks on micro, focusing on anything and clarity. Even in RAW, the images just suck. I can get way better photos off my Sony.

Am I doing things wrong? Need more time with it? Anyone else encounter shell shock with a new camera?

9 years 3 months ago #420002 by KCook
True macro photography will require extension tubes.  Link on that topic -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/lenses/263...n-replace-my-18-55mm

Learning to use phase detect AF (in the viewfinder) can be tricky.  Another link for that -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/beginner-p...241554-please-advise

It's normal for untreated RAW images to look dull at first.  Your RAW software should provide the tools to overcome that.  Another link -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...ussion/119701#119734

If you require your photography to be completely automatic, then the Cybershot is a better choice than a DSLR.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 3 months ago #420019 by garyrhook
Please see my comments on your Viewbug-area post. I think they are germane.

The P&S is a hammer: it's designed to make decision-making easy.

The DSLR is a table saw/router/sander/etc: its intent is to give you options and choices that allow you to find your way and create what you want. You can always put it in auto mode, and you have a fancy P&S with interchangeable lenses. Or you can start working on learning about the opportunities which it presents to you. It's a never-ending road.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420196 by Baydream
Kelly and Gary really covered it. Learning a new tool takes time and patience to learn the controls and how they translate to the photo. As I progressed through the Canon XT, XSi, 60D to 70D, each change took a while to get used to. Within a couple of weeks, the new model surpassed the former. I still use the 60 and 70 (carrying both with different lenses at times). 
Kelly is spot on about RAW. I shoot in RAW +jpeg and find the results interesting but I know the RAW will take some post processing to look decent.
Be patient and practice. It will be worth it.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: davis336
9 years 3 months ago #420202 by davis336
I appreciate all the encouragement. I knew it had to be something that involved patience. LOL

9 years 3 months ago #420214 by garyrhook

davis336 wrote: I appreciate all the encouragement. I knew it had to be something that involved patience. LOL

And post.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: JeremyS

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024