Lens suggestions for new T5i user

9 years 3 weeks ago #429224 by ChrisJr
I've recently graduated from using an iPhone 5s camera to a Canon T5i.  I have a little bit of "fun stuff" income tax money right now, and I'd like to get some lenses.  I don't have LOTS of money for lenses, so my lens choices are pretty basic.  I'm just wondering what you all think of my choices and if you have any suggestions for better lenses in the same price range.

My T5i came with the 18-55mm IS STM lens.

Here are the lenses I'm thinking about purchasing:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

9 years 3 weeks ago #429238 by Baydream
Lots of questions before you get an answer.  What type of photography do you plan on doing? If you are thinking about wildlife, consider a 70-300. Landscapes the 10-18 maybe. Check for used lenses at B&H and others. You may find some great deals.
But FIRST, what do you plan to shoot?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
9 years 3 weeks ago #429249 by KCook
The 50 f/1.8 is good for portraits.  I would try for the f/1.4 instead, but that's just me.  If you really want to improve your portraits load up with a speedlight and/or Lightroom instead of another lens.

The 10-18 is a nice price for an ultrawide.  I have found that my UWA has been used mostly for interior shots, not actually so much for landscapes.  The 18-55 is not bad for landscapes.  If you really want to improve your landscapes load up on some books or take a workshop.

The 55-250 is a nice complement to the 18-55.  Hard to knock that choice.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #429287 by ChrisJr
I'm not planning for any particular type of photography.  I'll be doing pretty much everything.  From landscapes/outdoors when I'm out fishing, hunting and camping to family get togethers and birthdays.  I'd like to be able to get good pictures of my 6 yr old son, soon to be 7 yr old, playing soccer and practicing taekwondo, but I think that will require expensive lenses.  We plan to go on family vacations to the beach, Grand Canyon and other canyons, Carlsbad Caverns and other caverns, and places like Memphis, New Orleans, Las Vegas and Washington D.C. and I'd like to take lots of pictures while doing those things.

One person in another forum suggested not getting any of the lenses I listed, selling my lens, and just getting ONE lens to start a good lens collection.  He suggested the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.  That sounds good, but there's no telling how long it would take me to have lenses for every situation.

I just don't know what I want to do.  Spending even a couple hundred dollars is a big deal to me, so I just want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck.

Thank you for the suggestions so far and thanks in advance for any other suggestions.

9 years 3 weeks ago #429288 by KCook
I'm a cheap sod, instead of the official Canon 17-55 f/2.8 I got the old Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, which lacks the IS feature.  No doubt inferior to the Canon version, but I still enjoy it a lot.

That old "quality glass only" advice is for pixel peepers.  There is every chance that you will find the consumer grade lenses enjoyable too, unless you are already a pixel peeper?  Where sticking with the latest from Canon does make sense is if video is important to you.  AF while shooting video can be problematic with other brands.  I don't know of any other brands that even claim to keep up with the new STM lenses for AF in video.  If you don't mind shooting video in manual focus instead of AF, then any brand will be fine.

The 55-250 would definitely help for daylight sports and the beach.  The 10-18 would be nice for inside caves, with a tripod.  Your existing 18-55 should be fine for most family togethers, camping, and the cities.  Unless you want to shoot in low light without a flash, then a faster 35mm f/2 or 17-50/55 f/2.8 would help a little.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 1 day ago #433002 by Josh Jofoto
I'd go with the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM just for the range 

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024