I hate Windows 8

10 years 1 week ago #359333 by Photo Junky
I just bought a new computer and so not happy with Windows 8.  Everything is different and difficult to find.  Has anyone just gone back to Windows 7 on a Windows 8 machine?

Photo Comments
10 years 1 week ago #359337 by DSRay
Still running XP... :beerbang:

10 years 1 week ago #359349 by cod
I like Windows 8.  It’s certainly more different from Win 7 than any other Windows version has been from its predecessor but as always, that’s a matter of getting used to it.  I prefer the modern tile start screen to the old start menu.  I like having my programs readily accessible from the start screen and not having to dig through layers of menus to get at them.  It took me a while to get used to the different ways of accessing search and power functions and system settings but once I figured that I find it to be simple enough. 

Lots of people don’t like it, though.  You can get Start menu add-ons that return the Win 7 Start menu functionality to Win 8 allowing you to bypass the new start screen altogether.

Downgrading to Windows 7 isn’t necessarily a straightforward option.  This article explores that point.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

10 years 1 week ago #359351 by Stealthy Ninja
I've been using windows 8 at work for a year or so.  Once you get used to the charms bar and the metro start screen it's actually better than windows 7. Give it time. 
10 years 1 week ago #359353 by garyrhook

Photo Junky wrote: I just bought a new computer and so not happy with Windows 8.  Everything is different and difficult to find.  Has anyone just gone back to Windows 7 on a Windows 8 machine?

If you haven't applied the 8.1 update, do so. It puts the start icon back onto the desktop.

If you're using a touch screen (you don't say) then swipe in from the bottom to get the task bar, or from the right to get the charm bar.

If you have either pulled up (on a non-touch screen system) you can start typing the name of a command and it will try to offer suggestions to you. E.g. "calc" for the calculator.

Yes, Win8 is different, but I'm rather enjoying it. Hated 7, still do. Would have stuck with XP, but needed 64-bit support for Lightroom (because Adobe doesn't understand how to implement good memory management in their applications).

Photo Comments
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #359355 by mj~shutterbugg
8 is like a smartphone, it is app based.  The tiles are moveable, very much like a phone.  I am getting used to it, not a fan but can navigate it now.

ETA: I agree, the more I use it the more it grows on me.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

10 years 1 week ago #359371 by Scotty
Hate windows 8.  Windows 7 is where it's at.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
10 years 1 week ago #359445 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: Hate windows 8.  Windows 7 is where it's at.

How many minutes did you try it for? 
10 years 1 week ago #359665 by JaneK
What I don't like about it, is when I search for something in Outlook for example, it shows incorrect things.  I guess this is an Office 365 problem and not Win8.  But I'm going to vent anyway.  he he he

Photo Comments
10 years 1 week ago #359667 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

A few weeks.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
10 years 1 week ago #359709 by JeremyS
I've been using windows 8 for about 6 months now. I still prefer windows 7, solely for the purpose everything just worked a bit better in my opinion. Windows 8 lacks some certain things that were easier to find in windows 7, some more obscure things, and on top of that not all apps are functional. For example, in the windows 8 skype app, I cannot change the volume properly, I can't change my screen name and I also can not perform the basic functions to change your account. Its a bit of a mess. Things like that are what bugs me with windows 8, but getting used to it doesn't make it too bad. 
I'd give it a 5-6/10 on a 1-10 scale. 

10 years 1 week ago #359749 by Baydream
I suspect Win 8 is a stepping stone to a completely integrated user interface. That said, it takes getting used to like every new version.  We have 8 , 7 and XP on computers in our house. I have been using 7 for quite a while so now XP seems a bit clunky. 8 will take getting used to. The WIN/d option that displays the traditional desktop has been a help.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #359767 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

A few weeks.

But only on your friends computer right? 

Also did you try 8.1 it's better.  For example the search in the charms bar is better. 

IMHO it takes a month or so for someone addicted to Windows 7 to get used to it.  Many give up and declare windows 7 as better.  

I hardly use the metro interface, only use it to launch apps. 

As for the person  above who was using the windows 8 Skype app.   Just use the desktop version.  You can use windows 8 like Windows 7,  just it has a more funky start screen. 
10 years 1 week ago #359787 by garyrhook

Takennnn wrote: For example, in the windows 8 skype app, I cannot change the volume properly, I can't change my screen name and I also can not perform the basic functions to change your account.

Um, how is that a Windows 8 problem? That's an application problem. There is no reason an application can't work exactly the same on 8 as 7; I have all of my old applications installed and have had no problems.

Let's put the blame where it belongs, shall we? If an app is inadequate, perhaps it was the app developer that dropped the ball.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 days ago #359823 by effron

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

A few weeks.

I've never used W8, but I hate it too. Its trendy!!!.....:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024