Which external hard drive do you recommend?

9 years 9 months ago #388558 by Patrick G
I have been using WD and know there are some new comers on the market that seem promising.  This is my first post here so warming up my questions with the easy ones first. 

Actually, what do you guys think of Lacie or G-Tech? 

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388572 by John Landolfi
Neither. Glyph. Best warranty! Most reliable

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388961 by Patrick G

John Landolfi wrote: Neither. Glyph. Best warranty! Most reliable

Thank you, I appreciate the tip.  I'll look them up. 

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389032 by ubookoo
Never heard of Glyph before. Looks like they have a solid 3 year warranty but what is interesting is that they do offer a basic data recovery option for two years on many of their products whereas most HD makers wont even attempt to help recover data and are very clear it is the owners responsibility.

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #389054 by John Landolfi
I have been using a 3TB for a couple of years, and it works flawlessly. I have a "person" at the seller, who periodically calls me to c heck how its going. That's service.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389091 by Stealthy Ninja
Honestly, search online and you'll find people who love one brand and hate the other because (in their own experience) they had one brand fail a lot and the other was fine and the other person has the opposite experience.

For example, I use WD, I've never had one fail on me. I've had Seagate fail and Maxtor fail (I hate maxtor).

But Gary loves Maxtor (or used to) and thinks they're a lot more reliable.

Apparently Glyph use seagate drives. But if their warranty is better, then maybe go for it.
9 years 9 months ago #389333 by Joves

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Honestly, search online and you'll find people who love one brand and hate the other because (in their own experience) they had one brand fail a lot and the other was fine and the other person has the opposite experience.

For example, I use WD, I've never had one fail on me. I've had Seagate fail and Maxtor fail (I hate maxtor).

But Gary loves Maxtor (or used to) and thinks they're a lot more reliable.

Apparently Glyph use seagate drives. But if their warranty is better, then maybe go for it.

:agree:
Well I am one who had two WD drives bearings fail on them. WD would not replace them, or put my data on another drive. I liked Maxtor when they were alive. I am thinking that I am going to change over to Solid State for my external storage. No mechanical components means no failures from stupid people tricks, like dropping them, getting them wet, and so on.

9 years 9 months ago #389346 by ubookoo
Completely agree with Joves! SSD is the best way to go. More pricy but definitely worth the reliability.

9 years 9 months ago #389374 by Stealthy Ninja
the problem with SSD is they have limited writes. Of course this usually isn't a problem unless you want to delete stuff and overwrite it all the time. For occasional backups, it's not really a problem.
9 years 9 months ago #389390 by garyrhook
Yeah, and it's going to be a while before I can afford to replace almost 8 TB of storage with SSDs. Really not practical for mere humans just yet.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #393170 by Afaelnar
I had a terrible experience with Seagate. The Seagate external hard drive I had stopped working and when I sent it to their repair center, I was being charged 5 times the cost of buying it.

I switched to WD and am good with it so far.

9 years 8 months ago #393171 by Stealthy Ninja
Yeh I had another seagate fail on me a couple of days ago.

Luckily nothing major lost... but I've since moved to a daily backup system (4TB external backed up using Iperius). Incremental daily backups of everything important on my computer. Means I'll (at most) lose a day's work...

STUPID SEAGATE! Never again.
9 years 8 months ago #393201 by effron
WD sucks, Seagate sucks...see where I'm going?  You have to expect ANY HD to fail and simply have more than a single back up. Check the reviews on any unit and see...they will ALL fail. Don't be a sucker for a brand name, they are all the same inside.....:(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #393202 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote: WD sucks, Seagate sucks...see where I'm going?  You have to expect ANY HD to fail and simply have more than a single back up. Check the reviews on any unit and see...they will ALL fail. Don't be a sucker for a brand name, they are all the same inside.....:(

Seagate sucks more than WD.  WD will fail, but it'll make a louder noise before it does so you can get your data off :P
9 years 8 months ago #393530 by garyrhook
I know there's an echo in here, but I'll say it again.

RAID 1 NAS.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024