Surface Pro 3 is very slow to start?

9 years 2 months ago #424423 by Rudy Sosa
Microsoft customer support is the absolute worst.  Can someone here help me out please?  Sometimes when I walk away from my Surface, and come back... let's say 15 minutes later.  It has gone into hibernation mode.  While most computers all you need to do is strike an arbitrary key on the keyboard or move the mouse around and the computer will wake up. NOT the Surface, you need to move things around, click on the power button and wait a few minutes for anything to happen.  Seriously, sometimes it's upwards of 4-5 minutes before this thing turns back on. 

Every time this happens I want to throw this computer out the window.  Is there like a software upgrade for this computer that fixes this? 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #424511 by Stealthy Ninja
According to microsoft you press the power button one time and it'll turn on.

They have a surface pro (2) at my work, I'll do an experiment...

Step 1. Sleep mode... fine, press the power button one time, few seconds later wakes up... now I'll wait a bit for it to go into hibernation (which incidentally should take 4 hours, if yours goes into hibernation after 15 mins I think you have the settings wrong).

Swipe from the left screen to open the charms bar.
Search for "power options"

Click "Change plan settings" on whatever plan you have runrunning.

Click on "Change advanced power settings"
Scroll down till you find "+Sleep" and click it
Click on "+ Hibernate after" and set it to something reasonable

One possibility is you're being impatient and keep clicking the power button or something (making it go back into sleep mode). Try just clicking the power button one time and waiting a few seconds.

I'll be back in 4 hours to conclude the test (I hope I remember)
9 years 2 months ago #424545 by Stealthy Ninja
OK 4.5 hours later, I clicked the button, it started up after a second or so. Just one click.
9 years 2 months ago #424702 by cod
My Surface Pro 3 wakes up instantly when I hit the power button or any keyboard key, as it should. So did the various other samples I tried out before purchasing mine.  This seems to be something specific to your system.

I've read about power management issues on the SP3 affecting wifi connectivity and entry into sleep mode but nothing about your specific problem.  I'm assuming you have the latest system updates installed as they have addressed some power management issues.  All I can suggest is Microsoft support or some online forums.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024