Pilot starting to take pictures!

9 years 6 months ago #404902 by boine
Hey Photographers!

I am a newbie with a buying question.... Am on the lookout to get a new camera, but need some advice!

I'm looking to take pictures from a plane, I fly for a major European carrier.
Size matters, a system camera is too big to drag along.

I've been close of getting a Sony DSC-100 MKII, but then I got cold feet, not sure the lens has enough zoom capabilities...
Shooting good pictures from a plane probably means a good (exchangable?) zoom lens.

Other cameras I've been looking at are the Canon Powershot G1X MkII and the Panasonic Lumix GM1...

Any help on camera and lens highly appreciated!

Thanks from a Boeing bird.....

9 years 6 months ago #404906 by KCook
Hey, my father loved flying Boeing!  Anyways, as a "starter" I would suggest a Canon G16 or Fujifilm X20.  These are not the very latest models so it's possible to find some nice deals.  Try one of those for a while before deciding whether you really want the extra bulk of a M4/3 system camera.  Even if you do move on to larger cameras, one of these will continue to serve you very well as your casual camera.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 6 months ago #404912 by Brad M
You didn't mention budget?  

9 years 6 months ago #404927 by boine
My budget is roughly USD900 or EUR700....

Thanks for the hints on cameras above, though do any of them come with interchangable lenses? If so, would be happy to recieve hints on what to look for... :)

9 years 6 months ago #404966 by KCook
No.  But you stated "Size matters, a system camera is too big to drag along".  Any camera with interchangeable lenses is considered to be a "system camera".  And the Sony RX100 does not have interchangeable lenses.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 6 months ago #404968 by boine
Alright, my mistake.... What I meant by a "system camera" is that Im not able to carry around a "big" camera..... In my world, a system camera is one that looks like one, if that makes sense.... LOL.....
A smaller camera with interchangable lens is an option!

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #405042 by KCook
Ok, for your "system camera" I will substitute "DSLR" :)

Shooting with a long telephoto focal length while flying is problematic.  As the scene below is constantly shifting (unless hovering helicopter) it will be harder to acquire the target.  And the typical window material will degrade a telephoto image, quality wise, which is why professionals insist on shooting through an open window.  So don't expect miracles.  And don't expect to be doing any multi-tasking while shooting telephoto.

Anyways, the smallest cameras with lots of telephoto reach are called travel zooms.  These are compacts, the size of the RX100, or even smaller, with a whole lot more zoom than the RX100.  Next step up in size would be an SLR-like ultrazoom camera.  Looks like a baby DSLR, with extreme zoom lens built in.  Mirrorless cameras like the Panny GM1 can take a telephoto zoom lens that will be a nice fit for your purposes, but the lens will not be tiny.  Still smaller than a DSLR with tele though.

I find the viewfinder feature to be handy for tele shooting.  This is standard on DSLR, not so standard on the smaller cameras.  The GM1 lacks a viewfinder, the G5/6 and GX7 do have a viewfinder.  As do the Nikon 1 V-series, Olympus OM-D series, and Fujifilm X-E1/2 models.  Thought the Fujis are a little bigger than the Oly and Panny M4/3 cameras.

Links for more discussions on mirrorless cameras -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/digital-ca...4-mirrorless-cameras

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...s-mirrorless-cameras

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...e-just-sony-and-fuji

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 6 months ago #405097 by boine
Hey again!

Steep learning curve here ;)
Copied the thoughts on zoom photography.... Makes sense...

so, probobably, the way to go sounds like getting as much quality camera for the money as possible.... Without too much focus on zoom.... 
Then the Panasonic GM-1 seems reasonable.... 
It ships with a 12-32mm lens.
Is it worth paying more to get a bright, fixed objective (45mm?) to fit my needs?

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #405135 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 6 months ago #405188 by boine
Hey again!

Alright, the haze is slowly lifting on this side.
Thanks a lot for all info and links, highly appreciated :)
More and more leaning towards a Panasonig GM1, it seems to be roughly what Im looking for....

A final question, I just found a few old Konica lenses laying around at my old folks. Alright quality back in the old analouge days. On eBay there are conversion ring available to fit these dinosaurs onto new four third cameras...

Is this any way worth going?
Lets say I go for the GM1 together with the supplied 12-32 zoom.
I would suddenly be able to fit an old 70-210mm zoom, and a fixed 40mm/f1,8 "pancake" lens.

I get there won't be any autofocus, zoom, back on manual aperture setting, and probably not any picture stabilizing!?
Qualitywise an ok solution? Or more of a gimick just to keep old stuff?

9 years 6 months ago #405189 by KCook
At 210mm, with 2X crop factor, the eqv. 35mm field of view will be 420mm.  At that much telephoto you really do need a viewfinder, which the GM1 lacks.  The older Panny G3/5 models and the more expensive GX7 do have viewfinders.  You could still get by with the 70-210 on a GM1, just need to stay down near the 70mm end.

The old 40mm f/1.8 could turn out to be a sweet portrait lens.

I do use old 35mm era lenses with my M4/3 PEN once in a while.  Aperture control can be fussy.  With some lenses it may simply stick wide open all the time.  Or, if you can get the lens to stop down, you will need to do that manually before taking the shot.  These old lenses had aluminum lens barrels instead of plastic.  They end up much heavier than today's mirrorless lens designs.  This cancels some of the advantage of using a mirrorless camera instead of a DSLR.

No stabilization with Panny bodies, except the GX7.  All Oly M4/3 have IBS (In Body Stabilization) which will work with any lens, even your old lenses on adapters.  The Oly PEN that is almost as small as the GM1 is the Oly PM2.  Oly OM-D E-M5/10 models have viewfinders.  As a very general rule Olys are preferred for still photos, Panny for video.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024