Best Imaging Software for the PC

12 years 3 months ago #184822 by NikonBob
Today I bought a new computer with a 1T hard drive mainly for storing and editing my photographs (along with a1T external drive for backup). I am now looking for imaging software. The only one I have at present is Photoshop Elements. I would like to get opinions on what is the best PC software in your opinion and why. Thanks in advance.

12 years 3 months ago #184825 by effron
With no mention of present experience, future needs or budget, this is like asking "what's the best food?". If you are new, Elements is a great starter program, I would say learn that and if you find there is something that doesn't do, there are plenty of options, like CS5, which has a steep learning curve and price to Gimp, which is a free software......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NikonBob
12 years 3 months ago #184867 by S5m13
Adobe Photoshop.

12 years 3 months ago #184911 by rmeyer7
Lightroom does 95% of what I need when editing photos. Only occasionally do I have to open an image in Photoshop to do something Lightroom can't. It's powerful, relatively easy to learn, and much easier on the wallet than a full version of PS. It's possible that LR + PS Elements might be all you'd need.

The following user(s) said Thank You: NikonBob
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #184927 by my_wave
****Message has been moderated****

I'm sorry your post has been deleted. We don't support ANY sites that promote software piracy. Please don't post those links here. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you,

Alex

12 years 3 months ago #184931 by KCook
Unfortunately Lightroom is above my pay grade. For image cataloging and management I prefer ACDSee 14 to Elements Organizer. I have both, use Elements for the more tricky editing.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 3 months ago #184934 by Gary Trent photography
I did the 30 day trial for Lightroom and found it totally complicated
and expensive for my needs.
I still have the (antique, if you will) PS C2 which is very easy
on the brain for ease of use.
My main use is the clone tool for removing small unwanted
elements (ie: power lines, skin blemishes, etc.)

Still, I'd rather get it right in camera rather than doing post manipulations.
Isn't that what (real) photography is all about ?
........... :whistle:

GT

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 3 months ago #184945 by Baydream
I have used Picasa a lot. It can do a ton of basic editing and is free. I also have Corel X4 (just learning after upgrade from X3) and GIMP.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #184982 by NikonBob
I have used Picassa and Elements for several years so am very familiar with those programs. Picassa I use most just to keep my photos somewhat organized so I can easily find an old photo. I am ready to graduate to a more complex program especially since now I have the disc space I will be shooting RAW more often. Adding Lightroom may be the answer.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JGMendez
12 years 3 months ago #184984 by NikonBob
I have been using Elements for several years on my current computer so am very familar with that program. Before retiring I did use the full version of Photoshop at my work. I am ready to graduate to a higher level.

12 years 3 months ago #185063 by Johnnie
I have an older version ~ Photoshop 7 however I mainly use Photoshop Elements, Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 and the Gimp. I have found that the a full version of Photoshop wasn't needed.

12 years 3 months ago #185065 by Baydream

Johnnie wrote: I have an older version ~ Photoshop 7 however I mainly use Photoshop Elements, Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 and the Gimp. I have found that the a full version of Photoshop wasn't needed.

:agree: I added X4 because it has HDR support. They had a special of $49.99 for the upgrade with a $25 VISA card rebate. More to learn.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #185581 by tstandiford
Well, I used Photoshop for a few years and switched to Gimp. (I got tired of paying for the program,) and have discovered that Gimp can do most everything Photoshop can do, especially in combination with UFRaw.

If you decide to give Gimp a whirl don't hesitate to ask about the program. I know it well and would be happy to help you out. I do gimp tutorials at www.gimpedblog.blogspot.com

Good luck regardless of what you choose.

Free eBook - Principles of Photo Editing: www.eepurl.com/gECIH
12 years 3 months ago #185602 by KCook
Ok, me 'tupid. What is the advantage of an eBook over just putting up HTML pages?

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 3 months ago #185667 by MylilAngel
I have used Photoshop, when Lightroom came out, i decided to give that a try. I enjoy Lightroom so much better then Photoshop.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024