Learn how to do Non-Destructive Burn and Dodge in Photoshop

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #272597 by PhotographyTalk
For many photographers one of the most important tools found in Photoshop is the "Burn" and "Dodge" feature. These terms have been around long before Photoshop came into the picture. With digital photographers this Photoshop tool is great for improving/controlling contrast in photos. This technique is useful in just about all forms of photography (models, landscapes, HDR, etc.). The problem with the burn and dodge tool is that when applied it's typically very destructive to the original photo. In this tutorial 'Howard Pinsky' shares with you quickly not only the differences between both of these tools, but also how to apply and not be destructive.

Enjoy:

Recommended Reading:

11 years 2 months ago #272640 by Homer
Nicely explained :judge:

11 years 2 months ago #272642 by ThatNikonGuy
Classic tool that every photographer should know how to use

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #272720 by Fiona
:judge:

11 years 2 months ago #272863 by Prago
Keep them coming :judge:

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #272931 by Ziggy
:judge:

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #273012 by NickSano
More please :beerbang:

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #403725 by notjustamoma
Very good tutorial!  I noticed on your video that when you were illustrating the dodge & burn tools that your exposure was set to "midtones" "47%" with both the dodge and burn tool.  Do you not use highlites with the dodge and shadows with the burn tool?  Thanks.

9 years 6 months ago #403867 by garyrhook

notjustamoma wrote: Very good tutorial!  I noticed on your video that when you were illustrating the dodge & burn tools that your exposure was set to "midtones" "47%" with both the dodge and burn tool.  Do you not use highlites with the dodge and shadows with the burn tool?  Thanks.

It is important to understand that the person that posted the link to the video, above, is not the same person that made the video. Someone may chime in here with thoughts about the point you raise, or maybe not. You could also go to YouTube and add a comment on the video. You might get a response from the creator that way; or maybe not.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404189 by Ben Vanderbilt

garyrhook wrote:

notjustamoma wrote: Very good tutorial!  I noticed on your video that when you were illustrating the dodge & burn tools that your exposure was set to "midtones" "47%" with both the dodge and burn tool.  Do you not use highlites with the dodge and shadows with the burn tool?  Thanks.

It is important to understand that the person that posted the link to the video, above, is not the same person that made the video. Someone may chime in here with thoughts about the point you raise, or maybe not. You could also go to YouTube and add a comment on the video. You might get a response from the creator that way; or maybe not.

:agree:  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404362 by Kitzmiller
Helpful clip, off to the next

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404501 by Rawley Photos
I use dodge and burning techniques in much of my post processing.  Actually it's one of my top 5 in my workflow

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404855 by Stacy Merrow
Can this be done in Lightroom? 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404957 by garyrhook
Yes, you can use a brush in LR to adjust exposure either way. Performance wise, I think it's easier in PS.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024