Kit website is best for SEO?

9 years 9 months ago #390010 by MYoung
Among the Zenfolios and such, which of these "kit" websites offer the best SEO tools? 

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390016 by NickSano
I'm not going to recommend the company I'm with, they suck.  I'm actually looking to move myself.  Need something that his more flexible and actually is viewable on mobile devices!  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390017 by Connie K Photos
SEO is dependent on your keywords and inbound links, not the brand of website.  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390019 by NickSano

Connie K Photos wrote: SEO is dependent on your keywords and inbound links, not the brand of website.  

Not 100% true, some websites have better frame work for SE spiders and easier for user to update.  Then you need to have good steady stream of updated content on your website.  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390021 by ShutterPal
Also it's all about the site speed that impacts how your site is indexed

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390022 by Connie K Photos

NickSano wrote:

Connie K Photos wrote: SEO is dependent on your keywords and inbound links, not the brand of website.  

Not 100% true, some websites have better frame work for SE spiders and easier for user to update.  Then you need to have good steady stream of updated content on your website.  

Yes, I agree.   Don't forget keep those 404 Errors off your page while you are at it!  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390025 by NickSano
The best thing you can do is speak to the company and ask for demo, most reputable companies will have demo of their site and should be able to answer questions on SEO.  Don't rush into buying the first website you come across :whistle:

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390066 by KCook

Connie K Photos wrote:

NickSano wrote:

Yes, I agree.   Don't forget keep those 404 Errors off your page while you are at it!  

+1

You could make your own trial with Google.  Pick a "popular" site on the target host.  Then make Google searches to try and find that site.  See how explicit your search terms need to be for the site to finally show up.

I got frustrated with my low visitor count on Zenfolio and am trying a Wordpress blog now.  The WP blog does get more hits, but only for a couple of days after a new post.  Then the traffic dies away to the same level I see on my ZF site.

Open oven door, insert head.

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 9 months ago #390067 by ubookoo
I am a big fan of Wordpress. WordPress is designed to be SEO-friendly, with features such as the ability to automatically generate search-friendly URLS. Also free plugins like Google XML Site Map and the All-in-One SEO pack, you can maintain good SEO discipline, giving your site the best chance of good search results. Also, Wordpress integrates perfectly with social plugins like Facebook, twitter and linkedin.

Some people are intimidated by the short learning curve with Wordpress but having a WP site also means you have 100% control of your brand and SEO. There are also 1000's of free templates to use as well and tons of Youtube videos to get you started.

As far as SEO, all of the above ranking comments are true but if you are trying to rank locally the best thing to do is get local citations. Also, get active on Facebook, Twitter, Google plus, and linkedin. These social signals are measured by Google's algorithm and will help you get on page one.

If you haven't done it already, take a look at your competition and see where they are ranking on Google. Do a Google search for the type of photography you want to rank. For example, google: wedding photographer dallas texas. Change out the wedding photographer and city/state for your own. Google will show you the paid ads at the top, then the organic search results, then you will see a listing of google+ sites (this is why you need a google+ site), and then more organic searches. Google will also put in "bold" the keyword each company is ranking for with your search term.

Most important of all, don't get overwhelmed and do nothing. Get started now as SEO ranking requires patience and time.

9 years 9 months ago #390081 by KCook

Also, get active on Facebook, Twitter, Google plus, and linkedin. 

+1

When I did get a flurry of hits it was due to a Facebook post, never any of my posts on photography message boards.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 8 months ago #390210 by Owen

ubookoo wrote: I am a big fan of Wordpress. WordPress is designed to be SEO-friendly, with features such as the ability to automatically generate search-friendly URLS. Also free plugins like Google XML Site Map and the All-in-One SEO pack, you can maintain good SEO discipline, giving your site the best chance of good search results. Also, Wordpress integrates perfectly with social plugins like Facebook, twitter and linkedin.

Some people are intimidated by the short learning curve with Wordpress but having a WP site also means you have 100% control of your brand and SEO. There are also 1000's of free templates to use as well and tons of Youtube videos to get you started.

As far as SEO, all of the above ranking comments are true but if you are trying to rank locally the best thing to do is get local citations. Also, get active on Facebook, Twitter, Google plus, and linkedin. These social signals are measured by Google's algorithm and will help you get on page one.

If you haven't done it already, take a look at your competition and see where they are ranking on Google. Do a Google search for the type of photography you want to rank. For example, google: wedding photographer dallas texas. Change out the wedding photographer and city/state for your own. Google will show you the paid ads at the top, then the organic search results, then you will see a listing of google+ sites (this is why you need a google+ site), and then more organic searches. Google will also put in "bold" the keyword each company is ranking for with your search term.

Most important of all, don't get overwhelmed and do nothing. Get started now as SEO ranking requires patience and time.

I have a friend who does SEO for a living and your final sentence you really hit it on the head :agree:  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390408 by Photo Junky
When it comes to SEO, I recommend just hiring a professional.  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390568 by CanonKid

Photo Junky wrote: When it comes to SEO, I recommend just hiring a professional.  

Good advice :goodpost:

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390823 by Andrew AG

MYoung wrote: Among the Zenfolios and such, which of these "kit" websites offer the best SEO tools? 

Sent you a PM.   The best advice as mentioned already is going to be get yourself a good site, and hire a SEO person who really knows the industry and what they are doing.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #392530 by Ian Stone
Is a kit anything every that good?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024