Best Printing Papers

9 years 9 months ago #390476 by JeremyS
I'm trying to get into printing some of my photos, and I'm not sure about what the best things to print are, the best papers, and what to look for when I'm going to print my photos. What am I supposed to look for when going to these shops, perhaps people here can help! 

I know Matte is supposed to be better than glossy, but that's about all I know. I plan on doing mostly 8x10s and 5x7s. 

Thanks everyone :)

9 years 9 months ago #390483 by Shadowfixer1
A lot depends on the brand of printer if you want specific paper recommendations. If you just want to know about general types that is an easier issue to deal with. I'm not sure who told you or why they told you matte is better than glossy. I select paper type to match the image and the vision I have for that image. Each paper will give a different look, feel and mood to an image. Generally I use a high gloss or matte for Black & White and  I generally use a satin or luster for color. Each type has it's place and the image in your mind should tell you what it needs to be printed on. Nothing is 100 percent. I use all papers for both but the majority of the time, I follow the recommendations I stated.
9 years 9 months ago #390484 by JeremyS

Shadowfixer1 wrote: A lot depends on the brand of printer if you want specific paper recommendations. If you just want to know about general types that is an easier issue to deal with. I'm not sure who told you or why they told you matte is better than glossy. I select paper type to match the image and the vision I have for that image. Each paper will give a different look, feel and mood to an image. Generally I use a high gloss or matte for Black & White and  I generally use a satin or luster for color. Each type has it's place and the image in your mind should tell you what it needs to be printed on. Nothing is 100 percent. I use all papers for both but the majority of the time, I follow the recommendations I stated.

That helps a lot, thanks :D As you can tell, I'm not too well educated on papers and what is best etc.

9 years 9 months ago #390485 by KCook
:goodpost:

I got tired of buying expensive ink for my desktop printer and had a trial run at a few online outfits.  "Luster" seems to be the most common now, "back in the day" I would have called this a slightly glossy matte.  It's Ok for DR and color saturation, the best thing about it is that the viewing angle is not as critical as the more glossy finishes.  I actually had a hard time finding a true glossy, most outfits seem to have replaced this with Fuji's Pearl finish.  The Pearl appears pretty strange to me.  It is as "shiny" as a glossy, but more metallic, gives the impression that there is a shimmery film over the image.  Cool looking, in a futuristic way, should be a big hit with the advertising crowd.  But compared to glossy, the highlights are strongly compressed, and some colors appear to bleed, especially the yellows in the sample images I submitted.

So I remain a glossy addict, the same as back in my 35mm daze.

nohelpKelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #390488 by garyrhook
I hate to sound like a broken record, but, define "best"?

Lustre is the non-glossy choice for color prints at most labs. Hate it.

Glossy is readily available from every pro lab.

Pearl is exactly that: it pearlizes the finish. Meh.

Aluminized or metalized papers are awesome if you like glossy. They act like glossy on steroids, and are especially nice for oranges, reds and yellows.

Matte is not "better" than glossy. And it's important to understand what matte is. The lustre or satin papers perform like glossy, but the finish helps manage fingerprints, and provide a wider viewing angle than glossy. Lustre also apparently causes problems with scanners, which can prevent photocopying of prints.

If you want to have fun, go to Red River Paper and order their sample sets. An absolute bargain, and not too pricey. Enough variants for you to play with for a while and learn about papers, for a very modest investment. www.redrivercatalog.com . They also have a write-up on the true cost of ink-jet printing, and all of their papers come with ICC profiles.

I am currently in love with their Arctic Polar Satin and Glossy papers. The satin performs as well as glossy and the finish doesn't intrude on the viewing experience.

Even the Epson Premium Glossy/etc papers are decent. And quite reasonably priced.

Comment: ink is not expensive. It's really quite reasonable if you want to produce quality prints on your own. Printing your own is less expensive than labs when you get past a 4x6. Me, I'm tired of low-res prints with bad color and have nothing kind to say about Walmart, Walgreens, etc. The labs are great, but they're expensive. I can now produce a 16x20 print for $8 - $10, depending upon the paper. They run $20 plus shipping from a lab, or more.

As for matte: real matter paper is for fine art printing. Completely different animal. Matte papers take more ink, and produce a different result. Again, the sample pack from Red River gives you the opportunity to get a few interesting matte papers. Hahnemuehle has many more interesting choices, but their samples are a bit more pricey.

Finally, dye vs. pigment. Printing glossy images for yourself, a modest consumer printer (using dye-based inks) with good paper and good software is going to get you nice results. Don't forget the colorimeter.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390772 by No Show
:agree:  Gary you always make some good post

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391085 by Don Fischer
You should probably get some sample packs and see what you like. You go get this "best' paper and don't really care for it, then what? Best is in the eye of the viewer.

9 years 8 months ago #391094 by icepics
I've used Kodak and Ilford paper for inkjet printers, and I like some of the Harman and Hahnemuhle. I've gotten the sample packs too which is a nice way to experiment with some different papers.

But I've always liked glossy, for darkroom prints and for digital prints. I think glossy can enhance a nice sharp image.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391144 by IzzieK
Standard of semi-gloss photographic paper and Drylab photographic inkjet standard gloss paper seems to be the favourite of the immigration authorities...These are the two kinds that is being asked of me for my passport photo submission. And it is further noted that if your photographer do not understand these requirements, there is a good chance that you photos will not be printed correctly.

9 years 8 months ago #391237 by Happy-pixel
The pearls are fun for sunsets and landscapes.  My personal preference is with the Lustre.  As already mentioned, this is so highly based on opinion.  I would suggest taking your favorite photo, have it printed on all just to see first hand personally what you like the most. 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391255 by Shadowfixer1
The paper type you pick can make or break how successful your image presentation is. I consider it very critical to choose the right paper for the image.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024