Before and Afters

9 years 8 months ago #390564 by CanonKid
Normally I just give the client the 'Afters'.  I'm referring to the photos after post processing.  I have a engagement client who wants both before and afters.  Will you provide the untouched images to a client?  Personally I like the idea of just handing over the touched up ones that impress.  

Care to leave your thoughts?

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390572 by garyrhook

CanonKid wrote: Normally I just give the client the 'Afters'.  I'm referring to the photos after post processing.  I have a engagement client who wants both before and afters.  Will you provide the untouched images to a client?  Personally I like the idea of just handing over the touched up ones that impress.  

Care to leave your thoughts?

No unretouched images. I produce final product, only.

Now, that's not to say that one couldn't "sell one's soul to the devil", as it were. If someone wanted the copyright/ownership along with the RAW files, I suppose one might sell them, but at a cost. Certainly not as part of the usual deal.

The issue, as I see it, is reputation. You aren't being paid to take pictures, you're selling your skill at creating images and memories. Therefore your reputation is a significant factor here.

Others feel differently.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390583 by CanonKid
OK, you just gave me the answer I was looking for.  I feel much more comfortable with release of final product vs unpolished version that certainly doesn't and won't reflect the level of quality I want to be known for.  

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390683 by icepics
Why does someone want the unedited images?? I assume these are portraits; sometimes shooting for a publication the editors may want unedited photos but that's a different situation (they may want to see how much a photographer's work would need to be edited to be published). 

A client or customer should be paying for the final product, which would be comparable to your work that they've seen on your website or wherever you display your photos. They should have been able to see your style so they'd know what to expect. So do you know what exactly is their concern that they want originals and edited versions?

Usually if a photographer for some reason sells the original files it's at a high cost (like sending an armored truck full of cash to your front door! lol jk of course) but seriously that's not done at the typical cost for a photo session and/or prints.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390684 by icepics
Now it occurs to me - do they just want to be able to edit the photos themselves? If so the problem is if they do a lousy job editing then the photos are 'out there' having been done by you as the photographer and their edits could make your work look bad.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390691 by John Landolfi
+1

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390771 by No Show
That's like giving the client the RAW files, not a chance. 

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390814 by Andrew AG

No Show wrote: That's like giving the client the RAW files, not a chance. 

Exactly :agree:

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390879 by ubookoo
Interesting discussion!

If I am the customer and have Photoshop and Lightroom skills I may want to create an image the way I see it not the way the photographer sees it.

However having said that, as a professional we owe it to our clients to provide a high quality finished product based upon our best judgment and interpretation of the overall feeling of the image.

For me and because I am confident of my finished product, I would not rule out giving the before and afters but would dig a bit more to find out why they want both.

9 years 8 months ago #391022 by Joe Photo Daddy

No Show wrote: That's like giving the client the RAW files, not a chance. 

My thoughts

9 years 8 months ago #391377 by Flash Steven
:agree: client get's final product only

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #391467 by CanonKid

icepics wrote: Why does someone want the unedited images?? I assume these are portraits; sometimes shooting for a publication the editors may want unedited photos but that's a different situation (they may want to see how much a photographer's work would need to be edited to be published). 

A client or customer should be paying for the final product, which would be comparable to your work that they've seen on your website or wherever you display your photos. They should have been able to see your style so they'd know what to expect. So do you know what exactly is their concern that they want originals and edited versions?

Usually if a photographer for some reason sells the original files it's at a high cost (like sending an armored truck full of cash to your front door! lol jk of course) but seriously that's not done at the typical cost for a photo session and/or prints.

Yes they are portraits of their engagement, honestly I didn't bother to ask.  I kind of assumed either that or they were going to have someone else do the editing. 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391556 by Joves

CanonKid wrote:

icepics wrote: Why does someone want the unedited images?? I assume these are portraits; sometimes shooting for a publication the editors may want unedited photos but that's a different situation (they may want to see how much a photographer's work would need to be edited to be published). 

Yes they are portraits of their engagement, honestly I didn't bother to ask.  I kind of assumed either that or they were going to have someone else do the editing. 

Yeah I am with the choir on this one. To me giving out the unedited files, is like giving away the negatives in the film days. That is just something that was not done without a bending over of the client, unless you were specifically contracted that way. Though I am not in the business, that is how I would deal with people.

9 years 8 months ago #391688 by MsPhyllis
Many years ago when I was just doing 35mm shots and didn't have/ or didn't use any post processing on photos, the client received prints of the original shots taken.... but only the better ones.  The clients never saw some of the shots i took.

In today's world, I would not freely give out the originals. 

9 years 8 months ago #392375 by Missy J
Well this looks like a unanimous vote.   Yes, I'm going the same direction. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024