Lightroom 6 cool features I've found already.

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #436660 by Stealthy Ninja
Number 1 I found was the "auto straighten" feature:

That "Auto" isn't in the previous version.

Then there's photo merge which has HDR and Panos

You select the photos you want to merge, right click > Photo Merge > Panorama (or HDR if you want).

After processing you get a preview:

You can try a different method if you wish, to see what you prefer (can't do that on PS):

You can also auto crop:

Final result:

HDR

I didn't have any bracketed burst shots, but I did have a couple of shots almost in the same location taken about 30 seconds apart.  Not ideal but let's see how LR does with this difficult circumstances (Note: I think using burst/bracketing would give you better results).

This is the images I was combining:

The interface:

Not bad.

After some levels tweaking:

It's not without errors:

See the weird artifacts?

Here too:

I did another one using 3 shots that I made no effort to try and get them aligned, but they were shot from the same standing position and same focal length (just different exposures):

Looks OK until you get closer:

Overall, I'm pretty sure I'll use the photomerge thing a lot.  I find that a bit better (albeit slightly less powerful, but more convenient than PS).  HDR I'm on the fence about.  I think it's pretty good for what it is and if I did burst shots with bracketing it would work quite nicely I suppose.  There isn't much haloing (which is good) but those strange artifacts and such are troubling.  More testing is needed IMHO (on HDR).

The auto align could be OK, I'll have to test that more.  It would be good for quick fixes perhaps... you can always adjust it if you don't like the results.
8 years 11 months ago #436664 by Stealthy Ninja
Here's the explanation of the artifacts in the HDR (and why you should use burst/bracketing) 

Firstly here's the two images that were combined 100% zoom:

Here's the composite:

You can see the different angles and sizes of objects (see the bin) and the extra people in the other one (mainly the dark areas around their pants etc.) have caused the problems.  

Using bracketing/burst will help alleviate these issues.

Basically I pushed the HDR merge feature too much.  Still it did an OK job IMHO.
8 years 11 months ago #436666 by KCook
Sooo . . . with the HDR deal you don't get to apply masks to the individual images?  To select which portions of the image to apply?

ohwell

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 11 months ago #436683 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote: Sooo . . . with the HDR deal you don't get to apply masks to the individual images?  To select which portions of the image to apply?

ohwell

Can you do that in photoshop (I mean in the auto merge to HDR thing)? I don't really do them.
8 years 11 months ago #436732 by Jim Photo
I've been trying to access Adobe's site this morning and it's VERY slow

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436740 by tganiats
From what I read last night, the advantage of the Lightroom's HDR is that the resulting image in .DNG.   Pretty nice.  That said, according to the video, many (not all) adjustments will be stripped.  I can see a couple options (without buy it yet)...but the easiest (which may work for some images) is to apply the mask, save as a TIFF or DNG, and then do the HDR.   Just a thought.

8 years 11 months ago #436742 by CatherineW
Will be downloading later today, thanks for sharing

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436743 by KCook
Of course this is hitting all of the photog sites.  On FM a guy posted a sample where the PS HDR showed color banding, but with LR6 HDR the same subject showed almost no banding.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 11 months ago #436781 by One Creative Girl
Thanks for sharing this, I'm looking at it right now.  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #436835 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote: Of course this is hitting all of the photog sites.  On FM a guy posted a sample where the PS HDR showed color banding, but with LR6 HDR the same subject showed almost no banding.

Kelly

Yeh I want to try it out with some old shots I did years ago (with burst mode and bracketing) but that's on my home computer and I've not had a lot of time to do it.
8 years 11 months ago #436894 by Kenta
Just downloaded, me likey!  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437034 by ShutterPal
I'll be updating this, this weekend too.  I'm looking forward to playing around with it!

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437397 by Adam G
Good tip!

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437546 by Ted Helm
I think Adobe did a really good job with the latest release

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #437931 by ValerieG
The other new feature I really like and will probably use more often than HDR or pano is the new brush added to the Graduated Filter and Radial Filter so you can paint out areas you don't want affected, or paint in areas you do. Pretty handy.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: tganiats

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024