Critique Needed

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #389355 by rodpatto

9 years 9 months ago #389360 by garyrhook
For me

Selective color: just say no.

I like the last one quite a bit. Especially the pattern on the ball against his hand, which I think is intriguing. Maybe too, because it keeps grabbing my attention. But overall very good. I especially like the way the lighting shows off his chin cleft.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodpatto
9 years 9 months ago #389361 by rodpatto
Thank you, using off camera flash is also a new concept for me to grasp so getting some feedback on the use of light is much appreciated!

9 years 9 months ago #389376 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote:
Selective color: just say no.

:kmonst:

I went through the selective colour faze (and the HDR faze)... I think we all do...  see I did it too ;)

No Worries by Stealthy Ninja , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leilanee
9 years 9 months ago #389488 by IzzieK
My vote goes to #3 and 4 although #4 is more like it. #3 I like for the composition but I am still trying to work out whether this is a composite or not. I think it is. #4 is simple and minimalist at the most and yet it evoked a feeling. I like the drama of his pose.

9 years 9 months ago #389515 by Leilanee
I'm all for selective colour if it seems to have a purpose (PS: nice photo, Adrian), and the selective colour at play here seems pointless imo.  Strangely the one that grabs me is the third one, although I'm not big on the haze-like dodging around the bird and the pose looks forced.
For the first photo:  Not only does the selective colour look a little sloppy (you didn't quite colour in the lines), but I don't see the point of selective colouring half the flowers of a photo containing nothing but that one bundle of flowers.
The second photo I would like as a photo if it was all black and white or all colour.  The selective colour does nothing for me.
The last one is decent... but although I can't really put my finger on it, I feel like it's missing something.

Just my two cents

9 years 9 months ago #389521 by KCook
I see #3 as a near miss.  The background is too distracting.  Either the background needs massive blur, or it needs to be completely dark.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 9 months ago #389630 by rodpatto
Thank you everyone for the feed back. I will certainly take your thoughts on board and keep them in mind if I find myself producing this type of work in the future.

9 years 9 months ago #389634 by JeremyS

KCook wrote: I see #3 as a near miss.  The background is too distracting.  Either the background needs massive blur, or it needs to be completely dark.

Kelly

Agreed with Kelly, I believe if you got a bit lower and further to the right, just enough to make it look slightly more dramatic it would look better. Throwing in what Kelly said, it would make the photo exactly what comes to my mind.

9 years 9 months ago #390212 by Sandy Smith Photos
I like #2 and #3.  I would like #2 more if the grainy ness in the clouds was gone. 

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409787 by Travel Nut
Very interesting, great set

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024