Any Infra-Red Heads Here?

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #58302 by bmsmith.photography
Hi all,

Any of you ever got into the art of infra-red photography. OK it's a bit of a gimmick but hey it's fun. and it's very hard to predict the results even with digital.
I used to have a film camera and use ir film not I use an R72 filter on my canon. here's some results....

EDIT: I'm not sure why only one image is showing up and my profile pic isn't either.

12 years 11 months ago #58307 by chasrich
We have a number of Infra-Red Heads here. :welcomeclan

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #58318 by robbie

bmsmith.photography wrote: Hi all,

Any of you ever got into the art of infra-red photography. OK it's a bit of a gimmick but hey it's fun. and it's very hard to predict the results even with digital.
I used to have a film camera and use ir film not I use an R72 filter on my canon. here's some results....

EDIT: I'm not sure why only one image is showing up and my profile pic isn't either.

For you it`s a gimmick and hard to predict but it`s even more demanding that you know what you are doing more than Visible light.Please don`t box my Ir images as a 'gimmick'.

12 years 11 months ago #58320 by bmsmith.photography

robbie wrote:

bmsmith.photography wrote: For you it`s a gimmick and hard to predict but it`s even more demanding that you know what you are doing more than Visible light.Please don`t box my Ir images as a 'gimmick'.

I don't, I actually really enjoy doing ot and it's harder than people think but I know there are a lot of people who think it is a gimmick. That's probably because they have never tried it themselves.

12 years 11 months ago #58325 by robbie

bmsmith.photography wrote:

robbie wrote:

bmsmith.photography wrote: For you it`s a gimmick and hard to predict but it`s even more demanding that you know what you are doing more than Visible light.Please don`t box my Ir images as a 'gimmick'.

I don't, I actually really enjoy doing ot and it's harder than people think but I know there are a lot of people who think it is a gimmick. That's probably because they have never tried it themselves.

Got you but your words as written were interpreted wrongly by me,my apologies.
Why not post some of your Ir images,would love to see them.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #58328 by bmsmith.photography

Got you but your words as written were interpreted wrongly by me,my apologies.

What I havent quite mastered yet is how sometimes the vegatation sometimes comes out white and other times it's pink. Sometimes the sky is blue others it's purple. Is it as obvious as just being the heat given out?
Why not post some of your Ir images,would love to see them.

probably me not getting my words straight ha ha. For some reason twoimages of mine havent appeared. OK here's some more.

and

12 years 11 months ago #58335 by robbie
The first one looks great,would like to see you process it since it`s straight from the camera.What`s your work flow?Check out my Ir home site....
irphotocom.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=processing

12 years 11 months ago #58338 by bmsmith.photography

12 years 11 months ago #58344 by bmsmith.photography

robbie wrote: The first one looks great,would like to see you process it since it`s straight from the camera.What`s your work flow?Check out my Ir home site....
irphotocom.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=processing

cool i must look into your site, actually it looks vagually familiar. I may have refered to it when starting out doing Digital IR.

my process is to do go to Channel Mixer one red channel 0 = Red; 100 = Blue. blue channel 100 = Red; 0 =Blue

then Image > Auto Tone
Image > Auto Color

sometimes it comes out really odd and solarised in which case I will true playing with the Black and White option which seems to make it fairly pleasing to the eye.

My favourite lens for IR is my Canon 50mm 1.8, teh bog standard 18-55mm is ok but it tends to leave a hot spot in the middle.

12 years 11 months ago #58361 by robbie
That`s not my site but where I post my Ir images,it`s the best Ir forum on the web.
Your work flow is very basic,for more advance stuff try some of the work flow on that link.I`ve changed mine because Photoshop doesn`t give me a lot of colors with ease,I now uses Niksoftware.com....
Color Efex3 and Viveza2..as my main plugin.Why not give it a try with a trial copy of those plugins?

12 years 11 months ago #58364 by bmsmith.photography

robbie wrote: That`s not my site but where I post my Ir images,it`s the best Ir forum on the web.
Your work flow is very basic,for more advance stuff try some of the work flow on that link.I`ve changed mine because Photoshop doesn`t give me a lot of colors with ease,I now uses Niksoftware.com....
Color Efex3 and Viveza2..as my main plugin.Why not give it a try with a trial copy of those plugins?

thanks for the tip Robbie. I must give it a go. generally I like to keep it simple though I'm open to more advanced ways.

I havent a converted camera. I wish I could afford to.

12 years 11 months ago #58366 by robbie
Hang in there,you will one day.Here is a lens review for hotspot...
www.jim-kramer.com/IR-Lenses.htm

12 years 11 months ago #58678 by bmsmith.photography
thanks Robbie

12 years 11 months ago #58711 by Henry Peach
I used to shoot Konica 750nm in 35mm and 120, and Kodak HIE in 35mm. Now I shoot with a converted EOS 20D.

12 years 11 months ago #58715 by Henry Peach

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024