photographing children.....advice?

9 years 9 months ago #389258 by some1sangel

9 years 9 months ago #389356 by KCook
#1 is a little dark (could be fixed in post)

#2 needs fill light (could be either flash or a reflector)

#3 has uneven lighting.  A common problem if using on-camera flash in a closeup shot.  Could be resolved by moving back a bit (more telephoto) or switching to a more advanced light that is not on the camera or switch to a ring-light.

#4 is easily the best of the bunch.  Light could be a little softer.  That is usually done by reflecting the light off some white surface, instead of aiming the light straight at the victim.  Ideally an off-camera light would be used, which opens up lots of possibilities for light modifiers (umbrellas, etc).

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 9 months ago #389368 by some1sangel
thank you for taking the time to answer.

9 years 9 months ago #389498 by Hassner
When Kelly says #4 is the best of the bunch, I'm sure he means technically. I found it the least interesting. I would crop it from the sides right up to the hands.

I like #1. The expression. Comic factor. The light streak on the river... I do not like the placing of the couple right above his head. Half a step to the left and and turning the camera slightly to the right, although I do not know what happens outside the frame on the right.

#2. The background is a problem. Far too busy.

#3. I love the emotion. Well caught. Sorry about the light. It is always nice to define the hair from the background.

Tip. Always take kids into a photo friendly environment. Be aware of a light background for dark hair and visa versa. See if the backgound is far enough away for you to get it out of focus. (images 2-4, not 1)

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389620 by some1sangel
thank you so much for taking the time to respond and i will take your advice to heart.

melanie

9 years 9 months ago #389623 by IzzieK
They are all very nice...children are very hard to photograph. They are like jellies, like teenagers -- you can hardly pin them down. Your copyright is a such a distraction though.

9 years 6 months ago #402989 by Travel Nut
Beautiful photography and clicks.

9 years 6 months ago #403308 by Simon Says
I absolutely positively love these - great job!

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024