The Culmination - Glacier National Park, Mt

9 years 8 months ago #395388 by RyanDyar

I'm sure some of you know that I have a love affair with Glacier National Park. I've spent dozens of weeks in the park over the years trying to do it justice with photographs. There are so many spots that I have on my wish-list to photograph... last week I was finally able to check one off. 

Cracker Lake has been on my radar for many years now, but I never got around to photographing it before now due to a few variables... but namely the long hike in the dark through the most active Grizzly territory in the park. Towards the end of a workshop I was leading I was joined by one client-turned-friend Mazen, my great friend Rob, and my lovely fiance Candace (yeah, I tricked her into agreeing to marry me recently). 

It wasn't until we had a group of 4 that we all felt comfortable making the 12 mile day-hike to photograph this incredible scene... the last 6 miles made on the way back in the dark with twitchy nerves due to potential Grizzly Bear encounters. Man, it was so worth it. One of the most beautiful and peaceful hikes I have made in Glacier Park. Sweeping views abound and various types of terrain keep you motivated to see what is around the next bend or down into the next valley. 

Arriving to this lake is worth it on it's own, even without getting any photos. It's the most vibrant turquoise colored glacial lake I have seen in Glacier... so dense with glacial silt that from the shore you can only see about 6 inches deep into the water before it becomes too milky to see further. Meadows of wildflowers blanket the shores and the vertical relief of Mt. Siyeh and Allen Mountain intimidate... hard to do the scale justice here while trying to fit all the elements into a 14mm frame. 

I guess what I am getting at is that this is one of the most precious gems of Glacier I have seen (and there are many more I am anxious to see) so you really should take some time to explore this park... especially if you're a photographer, it's paradise. 

This was shot with the Sony a7r (which is really growing on me) at 14mm. No exposure blending needed, but it is a blend of 11 different focus points at f11.  

9 years 8 months ago #395389 by KCook
You even snuck the moon in!

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 8 months ago #395518 by RobyFoto
OMG you are a Claude Monet of modern day landscapes!  I just adore this shot.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #395577 by danac
Awesome shot, Ryan and thanks for sharing the experience. The journey is one of the best things about being an outdoor photographer. Although I lived for 20 years in Wyoming and spent quite a bit of time in Montana, I haven't yet made it up to Glacier Park. Thanks to your photos, I'm moving it up on my priority list.

9 years 8 months ago #395625 by Shadowfixer1
Beautiful image. Well done!!
9 years 8 months ago #395663 by David Hutnik
I'm holding a lighter in the air :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #395691 by JeremyS
Wow, what an amazing photo. All of your photos have such a distinct style and look to them, they have a magical yet surreal quality to them. I love them! Keep up the work Ryan, its absolutely amazing.

9 years 8 months ago #395883 by Crammer
I'm speechless, this photo is remarkable.  Seriously, I'm trying to find words for how I feel about this photo and nothing seems worthy.  Thank you for sharing, this belongs framed on a wall in a gallery. 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #395955 by Travel Nut
Great clouds and light.

9 years 8 months ago #396009 by Farestad
I won't say anything you haven't heard yet.  But this is a stunning photo.  

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396105 by Tony Imaging

David Hutnik wrote: I'm holding a lighter in the air :thumbsup:

I'm right there with you.  This shot is gorgeous!  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396193 by Moe
Great shot.  Its a "10" in my book.  What lens did you use?  I see 14mm was the focal length, but what lens was used? I'm looking forward to seeing your next shot!

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396209 by Scotty
I'm a fan.  Did you vignette on purpose at the top or was that from the filter?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396848 by J Hemingway
To huge thumbs up!

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #397160 by Simon Says
That is a spectacular photo!!

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024