The Shore at Portland, ME

9 years 7 months ago #399491 by KCook
#3 could have worked for me, if only the coverage had been widened to include the horizon.  Leaving the horizon out of a landscape shot is always dicey.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago #399492 by JeremyS
The thunder hole is a place which I have not been! I would like to go though!

9 years 7 months ago #399501 by rtenny
number 3 for me. Great shot

9 years 7 months ago #399505 by garyrhook

KCook wrote: #3 could have worked for me, if only the coverage had been widened to include the horizon.  Leaving the horizon out of a landscape shot is always dicey.

So, this is an issue of expectations, I guess. I wasn't trying for a landscape per se, I was taking a shot of rocks and moving water (as well as negative space). I hadn't really considered what the image didn't contain. But I did achieve what I intended.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Kelly.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399506 by Augphoto
All nice but the second one really works for me.

9 years 7 months ago #399507 by KCook

garyrhook wrote:

KCook wrote: #3 could have worked for me, if only the coverage had been widened to include the horizon.  Leaving the horizon out of a landscape shot is always dicey.

So, this is an issue of expectations, I guess. I wasn't trying for a landscape per se, I was taking a shot of rocks and moving water (as well as negative space). I hadn't really considered what the image didn't contain. But I did achieve what I intended.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Kelly.

Fair enough.  But with that view in mind I would have cropped it a whole lot tighter.

punter

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago #399623 by Tim Burg
#1 works for me

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399700 by Shadowfixer1
Number 3 is far and away the best image. I like it a lot.  The other two are O.K. but very average. I hope "Thunder Hole" was rocking and rolling for you. It's pretty wild when it is.
9 years 7 months ago #399735 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Number 3 is far and away the best image. I like it a lot.  The other two are O.K. but very average. I hope "Thunder Hole" was rocking and rolling for you. It's pretty wild when it is.

Thanks. The weather was not ideal that day, and I had to take what I could get. We're talking about trying find jobs up there when we retire, so we can go back and really explore for several months.  I will be going back, come hell or high water.

I like the colors in the first one (I'm a Rothko fan) but the 2nd is more about the bird than the actual shot. I was amused by him sitting out there by himself. I'm real happy with #3 (as-is, negative space notwithstanding) with the lines, the water blur, and the textures.

We missed the best time at Thunder Hole (10 AM-ish that day?) but it was still quite entertaining.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #399801 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Number 3 is far and away the best image. I like it a lot.  The other two are O.K. but very average. I hope "Thunder Hole" was rocking and rolling for you. It's pretty wild when it is.

Thanks. The weather was not ideal that day, and I had to take what I could get. We're talking about trying find jobs up there when we retire, so we can go back and really explore for several months.  I will be going back, come hell or high water.

I like the colors in the first one (I'm a Rothko fan) but the 2nd is more about the bird than the actual shot. I was amused by him sitting out there by himself. I'm real happy with #3 (as-is, negative space notwithstanding) with the lines, the water blur, and the textures.

We missed the best time at Thunder Hole (10 AM-ish that day?) but it was still quite entertaining.

The best times at Thunder Hole depends completely on the tides and wave action. The first time I was there a storm was off the coast and there was a lot of big wave action. That's when it really comes to life. You could hear it a long way off. The second time I was there we didn't have a lot of wave action so it wasn't the same.
9 years 7 months ago #399833 by JaneK
I'm on the fence as they all do something a little different.  I'm going to say #1 and #3 because I feel more mystery with each of these.  Strange with shots like this, but that's the feeling I get. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #400003 by Travel Nut
All great shots mate.... I like #2 though......

9 years 7 months ago #400033 by NicoIa
I like #1 but I would have tried to take a second shot with the rock in the foreground in focus and combine it with the original one for extendend DoF.

#2 looks flat and a little bit oversaturated in green ? I like the second version you posted much better

#3 is very beautifully seen. I would try to crop the left side which is uninteresting (IMHO). It would probably work the best with a square frame. Maybe even better in BW.

Good job! 

9 years 7 months ago #400206 by Owen
#1 and #3 take the prize 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #400211 by garyrhook
Thanks everyone! Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024