Removing a Seized Lens Filter

12 years 7 months ago #129466 by LukeWeymark
Hi All,

I recently dropped my Nikon D90, which has cracked the filter on the end of the lens.

The glass hasn't smashed altogether, its just cracked, but now I can seem to be able to get the filter off the lens.

The filter is slightly bent in one place where it took the impact of the drop, which I'm assuming is why I can't get the filter to unscrew.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can remove the filter safely without damaging the lens?

If you've got any ideas I'd really love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Luke

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #129468 by MLKstudios
Use one of those rubbery things used to open jars.

HTH

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #129472 by McBeth Photography

MLKstudios wrote: Use one of those rubbery things used to open jars.

HTH

:agree:

Sounds like experience to me.

It is what it is.
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #129473 by MLKstudios
Never had a stuck filter.

I've removed many for others.

We'll, maybe once. ;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #129491 by Screamin Scott
I've never gotten one stuck (since I rarely use them). I have however gotten a Nikkor 35-70 F3.5 offof eBay that had one stuck. Couldn't get it off no matter what I tried. Wound up using a spanner to remove the ring that holds the glass in place & thus the glass itself. Since I use it on a crop camera, I haven't had any vignetting issues when using the hood...You might consider doing the same if the ring itself won't budge.If the drop was that hard to get the filter stuck, just hope that it didn't throw out the alignment of the lens elements...Might pay to send it off to Nikon. Which lens was it anyway?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #129499 by chasrich
Most important... Lefty Loosy, Righty Tighty :woohoo:

Another method is to collapse the filter by bending it in more... Careful this might damage the lens!

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #129545 by TheNissanMan
Used to have a problem with an old polariser, found that marigolds did the job although looks odd having one marigold in your bag...

12 years 7 months ago #129556 by chasrich
OK - this Yank had to go look it up...

A Marigold is a rubber glove in British English, especially a yellow or orange one used for washing dishes...

In American English we call a rubber glove a... Wait for it... A rubber glove. Go figure? :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #129557 by MLKstudios
Thanks, chas!

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #129599 by Joves
Like Chas said you can bend it in till it comes out. You will have to break the glass out first. Use a pair of needlenose pliers and bend it out. I have done it many times.

12 years 7 months ago #129600 by Henry Peach
We had some of these at the camera shop for removing stuck filters for folks, but I've used the above mentioned methods too.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/251749-RE...r_Wrench_Set_of.html
12 years 7 months ago #129623 by chasrich

Henry Peach wrote: We had some of these at the camera shop for removing stuck filters for folks, but I've used the above mentioned methods too.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/251749-RE...r_Wrench_Set_of.html

Good to know - thanks!

12 years 7 months ago #129629 by MLKstudios
They are what you leave on the table while you go look for that rubber thing you put in a drawer, somewhere.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024