Poll Results: How many photographers actually have a UV filter on their lenses at all times?

12 years 7 months ago #131054 by PhotographyTalk
Yesterdays Facebook poll asked the question: " How many photographers actually have a UV filter on their lenses at all times?".

We had 495 photographers vote on this question and the numbers are in, with a winning vote of 318 photographers who said they DO use a UV filter at all times. So it looks like 177 were with out UV filter.

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
12 years 7 months ago #131084 by McBeth Photography
I'm one of the minority that thinks the protection factor for lenses is overrated when using a UV filter...use the hood and things will be fine. :thumbsup:

It is what it is.
12 years 7 months ago #131443 by MLKstudios
I'm behind the minority 100%. Hope that doesn't make them the majority?

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #131448 by Stealthy Ninja
I had my bag drop recently shattering the protective filter I had on the front (trying to keep moisture out, not relying on it for drop protection.

The hood I had on did nothing to help (because it was on backwards).

HOWEVER the Think Tank™holster I had it in stopped the camera and lens from being damaged. Thanks Think Tank™.

We've discussed this before, never rely on a filter for drop protection, it's to keep dust/sand/moisture out... I was just unlucky and wasn't trying to have it as a drop protection.

Now, I don't have a filter on any of my lenses at the moment. My lenses are mainly weather sealed so I don't need a filter most of the time. Though I might grab one for the 105 micro as that seems to not be sealed... and I might get anotherone to replace the one on the 28-300 (which had it's UV filter smashed).

BTW when my uv filter smashed, the front element wasn't damaged at all. It's really hard to damage a front element. I'm more worried about dust/moisture getting in the lens...
12 years 7 months ago #131450 by robbie
I don`t use filters for protection of the lens,I will use it for photographic use if needed though.

12 years 7 months ago #133391 by Borrowlenses
Every one of our lenses goes out with a UV filter. Also, I've shot with and without them (sometimes I take them off, sometimes I am lazy) and don't really see a difference. To each his own but I think it's smart to protect the lens.

Online Camera Gear Rental - www.BorrowLenses.com
12 years 7 months ago #134959 by Dragonflies
Well it's the 70-200mm and certain wide angle lenses that will be effected more with vignetting from having a filter on them

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #135001 by Henry Peach
Here's a link to a Flickr conversation where a fellow claims he was advised by Canon reps not to use UV filters.

www.flickr.com/groups/canon_50mm/discuss/72157603907741669/

"I attended a Canon sales event at Calumet in San Francisco a while back and the two Canon reps said that they have begun recommending lens hoods and no lens filter. Canon technicians gave them a very involved technical reason, but when they started doing their own tests, they were instantly convinced that a filter lowers sharpness and provides problems like reflections. ... Do what they suggested: go outside and photograph a tree with and without a filter. The results will be clear. " -Michael Martin

I think that advice is good: go out and do your own testing. See if it's a problem for your photography. I regularly get told about problems I don't seem to have, and have problems that don't seem to affect others. You have to check for yourself, even if using the same gear, because maybe you are doing something a little bit different or are facing a different situation. Digital makes personal testing easier than ever. If I owned a UV filter I'd try it myself, but I stopped using them long ago, and don't think I own any that will fit my DSLR lenses.

Here's an old article, 2006, but it has some test shot examples.

www.shootsmarter.com/will-crockett-artic...ion-good-idea-or-not

Lot's of other great stuff at shootsmarter.com too.
12 years 7 months ago #135016 by chasrich
If one filter is bad then you might cut down the testing time and try stacking UV filters... eventually I bet you get a noticeable difference. I'll still use a UV when the environment is such that a lens hood won't protect it like a windy day at the beach.:woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #135680 by Joves
I have an old 77mm UV filter I use for a drink coaster. If I use any for protection against dust and water, I use the Clears. The only other filters I use are for effect and not for protection.

12 years 7 months ago #145032 by Archie
You know I have kept filter on my lenses to keep the glass from getting scratches. Recently I have been thinking this isn't necessary and questioning if needed.

Would like to know how many of you keep a filter on your lens at all time for protection?

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #145036 by Stealthy Ninja
Merged Archie's topic with this one.

Next time please consult this:
www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...re-starting-a-thread

Thanks.
12 years 7 months ago #145065 by MLKstudios
Time for some ninja training, SN.

Archie replied to advice given on this thread. He didn't start a new one.

Chill.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024