Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 or Nikon 24-70mm f2.8

9 years 7 months ago #401943 by JeremyS
I'm trying to decide between both of these lenses. The Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 or the nikon 24-70mm f2.8. It will be my first of the trifecta and I'm trying to decide what is best for me. I mainly shoot landscapes and seascapes, and I've found a nice need for a wide angle lens, however I also plan on eventually doing portraiture and standard travel photography. I would like the 14-24mm but is it really necessary. 

I am going to hike Angel's landing in Utah next march and this is my deciding factor. I want to get the best possible photos from around here and I think the 14-24mm would be best for this, however would I get the most use out of the 14-24 or the 24-70. What does everyone think about this and what do you think you would do? 

9 years 7 months ago #401946 by Joves
:rofl:
Well Jeremy I would look at this way. How far into the future before you actually start doing portraits? And do you already have a lens currently that would do that job now? If you have a lens that will do the job now, the I would go wider. If not then the 14-24 is not really an ideal port lens. Or you could get a nice prime lens for ports, which will be less expensive that either of those. Since I shoot mostly landscapes, and nature, I would go the 14-24, but that is me.

9 years 7 months ago #401947 by JeremyS

Joves wrote: :rofl:
Well Jeremy I would look at this way. How far into the future before you actually start doing portraits? And do you already have a lens currently that would do that job now? If you have a lens that will do the job now, the I would go wider. If not then the 14-24 is not really an ideal port lens. Or you could get a nice prime lens for ports, which will be less expensive that either of those. Since I shoot mostly landscapes, and nature, I would go the 14-24, but that is me.

I'd be doing portraits in the next 2-3 years. I currently have a 50 1.8 and a 70-300 f4.5-5.6. I can do long and I do have a prime for portraits so that will cover me. I am considering 14-24 now and then later on a 85mm in the future.

9 years 7 months ago #401949 by Joves
Two or three years away! Yeah I would buy for the trip, and not the future. And since you are still mostly doing the LS/SS you will get far more use, and enjoyment from it now. In two or three years you will probably be able to buy a good dedicated lens for the portraits along the way. 

9 years 7 months ago #401961 by garyrhook
I must agree with the above.

If your immediate intent was portraiture, then I'd always suggest the 24-70, and get a rental for the trip. But 2-3 years out suggests that there's no point in buying it now.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #402196 by Stealthy Ninja
I've owned the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 at one stage, so here goes my advice:

24-70

The end.

(Longer version)
The 14-24 is extremely sharp and controls distortion extremely well. It's noticeably sharper than the 24-70 and has less distortion at 24mm... HOWEVER it is a hard lens to use and honestly isn't that practical for most situations. The 24-70 is a MUCH more flexible lens and 24mm is pretty wide (especially on your D800). So I'd definitely say go for that one first. The 24-70 is very sharp too, just not to the standards of the 14-24 (which is actually a weird lens in that it's so well designed and made... not your normal super wide zoom). You'll find the 24-70 as sharp as a typical prime.

Another thing to consider is how difficult it is to use filters on the 14-24.  It's much easier with the 24-70.
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #402197 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I've owned the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 at one stage, so here goes my advice:

24-70

The end.

(Longer version)
The 14-24 is extremely sharp and controls distortion extremely well. It's noticeably sharper than the 24-70 and has less distortion at 24mm... HOWEVER it is a hard lens to use and honestly isn't that practical for most situations. The 24-70 is a MUCH more flexible lens and 24mm is pretty wide (especially on your D800). So I'd definitely say go for that one first. The 24-70 is very sharp too, just not to the standards of the 14-24 (which is actually a weird lens in that it's so well designed and made... not your normal super wide zoom). You'll find the 24-70 as sharp as a typical prime.

Another thing to consider is how difficult it is to use filters on the 14-24.  It's much easier with the 24-70.

Filters aren't really that hard to use anymore.  They just cost a stupid amount of money.  I agree with you though.  If I had to pick which one to get first it'd be the 24-70.  The 14-24mm is an amazing lens and I hope the OP eventually gets one.  It's just not easy to use and takes a lot of work to make it shine.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405384 by JeremyS
Update: I bought the 14-24 because it seems to me like the best fit lens. So far I love it, and I am taking it out on a fall foliage trial run next weekend. Thanks for all the help everyone!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024