Largest part of our nature in images

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #45663 by JPM
Hi All,

I'm a Finnish amateur astrophotographer and a new member in this forum.
Night sky and universe are part of nature, actually a largest part of it!
Due the light pollution, people doesn't know it so well anymore.
I enjoy to be able to reveal even a small part of the hidden beauty of our Universe. Astro photographing is a mixture of technique, art and science and it's difficult enough to keep me interested. I hope you enjoy my images!

My portfolio: astroanarchy.zenfolio.com/
My Blog: www.astroanarchy.blogspot.com/

Some images
The "Pelican Nebula" in constellation Cygnus

IC 5070, the "Pelican Nebula", is an Hydrogen emission region associated with the North America Nebula in the constellation Cygnus. The nebula resembles a pelican in shape (in a large field image), hence the name. The Pelican Nebula is , close to Deneb, and divided from its brighter, larger neighbor, the North America Nebula, by a molecular cloud filled with dark dust. Distance is about 1800 light years.
More info in my Blog: astroanarchy.blogspot.com/2011/01/ic-507...-pelican-nebula.html
Total exposure time about 9h.
The "Bubble Nebula" in constellation Cassiopeia

This is one of the most interesting looking structures to me!
NGC 7635 aka "Bubble Nebula, Sh2-162 or Caldwell11, is a Hydrogen emission nebula in constellation Cassiopeia. It locates near the open cluster M 52 at distance of about 11.000 light years from the Earth.
The bubble structure is created by a strong stellar wind, a radiation pressure, from massive hot magnitude 8,7 central star, SAO 20575, it can be seen in an image inside of the bubble, off centered at Right.
Bubble is an expanding shock front inside a giant molecular cloud and it has a diameter more than Six light years. The spherical formation is expanding at speed of 6500.000 km/h, due the huge scale and distance we can't see the movement easily. In a century, the bubble in this image will be only about one pixel wider, than now! ( ~1 arc second)
Strong UV-radiation from a central star ionized elements in a gas and makes them glow at typical wavelength to each element. (Hydrogen glows Red light as Sulfur, Oxygen emits Green/Blue light at visible wavelengths)
If you are interested about color schemes used in my images, I wrote a small study about them, please, have a look here: astroanarchy.blogspot.com/2009/11/colors-in-astro-images.html
More info about the Bubble Nebula in my Blog: astroanarchy.blogspot.com/2011/03/bubble...ula-reprocessed.html

Total exposure time about 10h.

Previous two images are imaged with a Meade LX200 GPS 12" telescope and a cooled astronomical CCD-camera, QHY9. A narrowband filter set for three visual wavelengths was used
to create a color image. (Astro cameras are usually grayscale CCD's)

The "Veil Nebula" in constellation Cygnus

This last image was imaged with a camera lens, many of the targets has a very large angular diameter and they don't fit to telescopes narrow field of view. The diameter of this supernova remnant is about three degrees in a sky, that's six times full Moons diameter!

This very large SNR locates in constellation Cygnus, about 2000 light years away. Angular diameter is about three degrees, about six full Moons side by side. Veil Nebula is one of the brightest features in the X-ray sky, optically it has a low surface brightness.

Total exposure time with a Tokina AT-X 300mm and a cooled astro camera, QHY8, about 5h.

More info in my Blog: astroanarchy.blogspot.com/2011/01/supern...ant-veil-nebula.html
12 years 11 months ago #45673 by bhowdy
Awe inspiring images ... thank you for sharing them

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

12 years 11 months ago #45681 by chasrich
Most spectacular on several layers. The images cause a mandatory paradigm shift. The explanations of what we are seeing is also amazing. Thanks so much for sharing these and for the careful details of the science involved.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #46370 by Zardoz
As a past slave to a 10inch Meade Ritchey–Chrétien, and junkey to Astronomy Picture of the Day link I really appreciate your craft!

12 years 11 months ago #46376 by JPM
Thanks for the kind comments!

Zardoz, I have had three APOD's so far, that's a great site and service from the NASA..
12 years 11 months ago #46448 by Tuscany
:judge: :judge:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024