cheating??

9 years 1 month ago #428591 by BartEason
hello everyone..i have been a enthusiastic photographer for 14 f taught through practice, practice, rted with old mineolta found in moms attic through a series off sacrifices and upgrades to my canon eos rebel t5i and tamron 75 to 350 telephoto zoom...I have probably 3000 + negatives from my canon elan or t processed at wal- mart( I know)..I hate wal- mart but when enlarged to 100% most are covered with tiny white dots i suspect was dust in machinery when n converting these photos to black and white these flaws seem to it considered cheating to convert these negatives to black and white??as far as entering contests? is it considered cheating to use any PS adjustments besides brightness and contrast in photos for contests unless otherwise stated PS contest??spent several years teaching myself PS and don't want to be accused of being unethical by using what little I have learned( no pro for sure) to adjust photo before entering in contests?? what is considered cheating and what is not?? what is considered allowable and what is not??

9 years 1 month ago #428622 by Joves
First off welcome to the forum Bart.
Now as far as the contests you merely have to read their rules on submissions. If they say no manipulations, such as adding elements, or sky replacement, and the such, then that usually means only normal adjustments for brightness, contrast, cropping, and levels. One guy last year had to return prize money because he added things in an image that was supposed to only have minor adjustments allowed. So just read their rules. Most contest seem to allow anything, and then there are a few that want less processing, and more raw capture work. Also as far as contests go, I always check the full terms of use for them. Most of the interbutz contests are merely image grabs that allow them eternal full use rights to what you sent them. Most are free, but then you have the ones that ask for a fee so they can steal your images, and make a profit off of you. There are not many legitimate contests in my opinion.

9 years 1 month ago #428625 by icepics
What Dennis (Joves) said.

Many contests and websites are referred to as 'photo rights grab' sites because they want users' photos to sell and resell over and over forever, and the user usually gets a prize or one time payment. Read the Terms & Conditions on any site you're considering using. There are many photo contests and sites that don't seem reputable.

What you're seeing in your photos could be spots from dust on a scanner and/or graininess of the negatives. You could look at the negatives and see if you see the spots or graininess (look thru a light source, even a window would do, and maybe a magnifier). You could have some rescanning done and see if there's any improvement.

If the negatives seem to have any dust you can use Beseler dust gun, I've used that in the darkroom and you make a couple of sweeping squirts. I'd recommend if you try it, use a dust gun made for cleaning negatives, or ask a lab if they can clean the negatives when they scan. Try someplace like Dwayne's (Kansas) or The Darkroom (San Clemente) or Blue Moon Camera.  

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024