Nikon Camera Forum:

Welcome to the PhotographyTalk Nikon camera forum.  Here you can join the free discussions on all Nikon cameras, lenses and accessories relating to your Nikon camera.  We have included some Nikon camera reviews as well: Nikon D3100 | Nikon D5000 | Nikon D90 | Nikon D7000 | Nikon D700 | Nikon D3s Camera

Difference between Nikon SB-700 and SB-800 2 years 8 months ago #206253

Who has both of these? I have located a seller who has a couple of these for sale. I don't have the budget to buy all that he has, so on the fence which to pick up. I know the SB-700 is the newer of the two. Performance wise, which is superior? :cheers:
Gripped Nikon D80 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Difference between Nikon SB-700 and SB-800 2 years 8 months ago #206266

SB-800:
Professional grade speedlight, discontinued but widely available used.
It has 270 degree side-to side coverage, and 100 degree vertical coverage. It can tilt down 10 degrees from line-of-sight for close-up work on the hot shoe.
Not as powerful as the SB-900, but significantly more powerful than the 600.
Slower recycle than the SB-900, but it's usable for rapid fire bursts, and I've never been slowed by it. Way faster recycle than the SB-600, especially when using the 5th battery add-on.
Can be used as a slave flash, and it can be triggered by flash light itself... so you can use it in a studio setup, or in conjunction with other non-Nikkor flashes.
Has a slow-to-navigate "push-and-hold" menu interface that may slow down your shooting, depending on your situation.

SB-900:
Nikon's current flagship/professional flash unit
It's HUGE. The flash head casts a nice, even light as a result.
It has 360 degree side-to side coverage, and 100 degree vertical coverage. It can tilt down 10 degrees from line-of-sight for close-up work on the hot shoe.
Way faster recycle than the SB-600 and 800, and only with 4 AA batteries.
Can be used as a slave flash, and it can be triggered by flash light itself... so you can use it in a studio setup, or in conjunction with other non-Nikkor flashes.
Can be used as a master flash to control groups of other speedlights at ranges greater a SB-800.
You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.

Re: Difference between Nikon SB-700 and SB-800 2 years 8 months ago #206277

SB-700

Guide number: 28/92 (ISO 100, m/ft.).
Flash head tilts down to 7° or up to 90°.
Flash head rotates horizontally 180° to the left and right.
Effective flash output distance range 0.6 m to 20 m (2 ft. to 66 ft.).
Zoom to 120mm.
??? second recycle time.
Master mode with up to 2 groups of slaves.
51 (all) AF assist points at 35mm on FX.
Approx. 360 g.

SB-800

Guide number: 38/125 (ISO 100, m/ft.).
Flash head tilts down to 7° or up to 90°.
Flash head rotates horizontally 180° to the left and 90° to the right.
Effective flash output distance range 0.6 m to 20 m (2 ft. to 66 ft.).
Zoom to 105mm.
2.9 second recycle time with 5th battery.
Master mode with up to 3 groups of slaves.
17 AF assist points at 35mm on FX.
TTL multi flash terminal.
Sinc terminal.
External power source terminal.
Approx. 350g

On paper the SB-800 looks like a clear winner, but that is before you try to navigate the menus.
Why so serious?

Re: Difference between Nikon SB-700 and SB-800 2 years 8 months ago #206280

oops !! I compared the wrong 2 speedlights :beerbang:
You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.