Troubles with the Nikon D800 auto focus

10 years 1 month ago #351861 by Chris Briggs
Is there a fix to the D800 auto focus problem?  I would guess 40% of the time the auto focus is completely worthless on this camera.  I have to switch to manual focus or get frustrated beyond means waiting for the autofocus to work properly. 

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #351863 by Screamin Scott
Is this an issue with all lenses or just certain ones ?... There is an auto focus fine tune feature that will correct any front or back focus issues...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #351869 by Stealthy Ninja
  What exactly is the issue?  This may be a dumb question, but are you shooting via live view and using autofocus?
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #352007 by effron
Yes, more info. We can't help without knowing what the problem is. My D800 is flawless......

nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d4_tips/autofocus/

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #352459 by Chris Briggs
It's hard to pin point when this is going to happen, actually I have no idea, it just happens. I could have any of my lenses on the camera, it doesn't matter.  The auto focus will just go back and forth in short uncertain movements.  As if it's trying to lock onto something and can't get a lock.  Now mind you, this is happening only about 30%-40% of the time.  Now that I think about it, 40% does seem rather high, its most likely closer to 30%.  Either way, it happens way to often and is rather annoying. 

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #352461 by Screamin Scott
Sounds like it's maybe a low light focus issue & the AF is having problems trying to find focus from your last post

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #352525 by hghlndr6

Chris Briggs wrote: ... The auto focus will just go back and forth in short uncertain movements.  As if it's trying to lock onto something and can't get a lock. ...

That's exactly what is happening.  And it is normal under certain conditions (low light being just one of them.)  In your D800 manual, in the Autofocus section, you will find a statement something like "Autofocus does not perform well under these conditions: ..."  Have you read that?

The "fix" in those conditions is generally to switch to manual focus.  However, there are a lot of settings in the Nikon that govern how autofocus works.  To the extent that you're letting the camera decide how to focus and on what to focus, those conditions are more troublesome.  To the extent that your settings allow you to take more control over every aspect of autofocus, you can make autofocus work in those conditions more often.
10 years 1 month ago #352565 by Joves

hghlndr6 wrote:

Chris Briggs wrote: ... The auto focus will just go back and forth in short uncertain movements.  As if it's trying to lock onto something and can't get a lock. ...

That's exactly what is happening.  And it is normal under certain conditions (low light being just one of them.)  In your D800 manual, in the Autofocus section, you will find a statement something like "Autofocus does not perform well under these conditions: ..."  Have you read that?

The "fix" in those conditions is generally to switch to manual focus.  However, there are a lot of settings in the Nikon that govern how autofocus works.  To the extent that you're letting the camera decide how to focus and on what to focus, those conditions are more troublesome.  To the extent that your settings allow you to take more control over every aspect of autofocus, you can make autofocus work in those conditions more often.

:agree:
Yep! For example a busy scene with many areas to focus on. Or where the subject is not well defined from the background is a major one. You have the selector switch on the back to pick a focus area mode, the one with the big box is bad it looks at everything, and randomly picks something. The next one is dynamic AF, this one allows you to select a focus point, but if the subject moves from the point it selects another focus point to get it. Also this is what the AF area mode is for, where you select 9,21, or 51 points for. The greater the number the more points the camera will use, which can also confuse the camera at times. I really only have mine set to 9 most of the time, and use 51 point 3d tracking for wild life, it helps you to get a shot when having to pan. Then there is the single point this one makes it so the camera only uses that point to focus. It is the one I use about 90% of the time.
With these cameras if you are using AF then it is all about the settings to get the best results. There are so many settings for about every function now that you really have to read the manual a couple of times to get it all in. That and a good amount of practice.

10 years 1 month ago #354193 by Chris Briggs
Sorry for the late reply, it's been hectic here this week.  I see what you are saying with the low light, but this has happened during bright sunlight.  In low light, I can understand, but during peak light, this doesn't make sense to me.  

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #354405 by Serge R
If this fault affects one side of AF points (left or right) send your body to Nikon - they will recalibrate AF - it's common problem - two photographers that I know had the same issue with left side of AF points and Nikon service managed to fix it.

Outcome is that after a while D800 AF just "decalibrates" itself.

10 years 1 month ago #354715 by Joves

Serge R wrote: If this fault affects one side of AF points (left or right) send your body to Nikon - they will recalibrate AF - it's common problem - two photographers that I know had the same issue with left side of AF points and Nikon service managed to fix it.

I had forgotten about that issue with the first run of them.

10 years 1 month ago #356673 by Chris Briggs
Again thank you all for the help.  I'm not sure and will surely test this.  Actually, how are you able to tell if left or right side of autofocus is dead?  Am I to guess that I move the focus point to the left or right?  LOL sorry to ask dumb question, just not sure 100% how this would be tested. 

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #356967 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote:

Serge R wrote: If this fault affects one side of AF points (left or right) send your body to Nikon - they will recalibrate AF - it's common problem - two photographers that I know had the same issue with left side of AF points and Nikon service managed to fix it.

I had forgotten about that issue with the first run of them.

Oh yes.  I remember when I had mine I tested them a lot to make sure I didn't have this problem.
10 years 1 month ago #357129 by Joves

Chris Briggs wrote: Again thank you all for the help.  I'm not sure and will surely test this.  Actually, how are you able to tell if left or right side of autofocus is dead?  Am I to guess that I move the focus point to the left or right?  LOL sorry to ask dumb question, just not sure 100% how this would be tested. 

Yes you pick a fixed target, something with a pattern works best. Then shoot different frames using the various points from center to both sides. Then look at the images on your computer. What makes it easy is start with the left, then go center, and right. That way you do not have to remember too much which point you used when reviewing.

10 years 1 month ago #357367 by Chris Briggs
Thank you Joves and everyone else here, your help is greatly appreciated.  I'm going to try this later on today and hope to figure this out. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024