Replacement for my kit lens

10 years 1 month ago #355765 by rtenny
One and a half years ago I bought a D90 and I am very happy with it. I have bought a 50mm Nikon 1.8 prime lens and I am very impressed with it. Now I would like to replace my kit lens but not sure which lens to choose, Nikon, Tamron, Sigma?? and what focal length. I do like the 18-55mm and I was looking at something similar. Please bear in mind I am not a pro and I don't want to carry around 5 or more lenses either. But I like the sharpness and quality that I got from the prime lens. I am I asking for the impossible and will i just have to buy several lenses to get the quality?

10 years 1 month ago #355811 by Joves
Well it really depends on your budget. On the inexpensive side, and I am also guessing you are looking for a straight good walk around lens. Then my suggestion is the 18-105 another kit lens, or the 18-200 VR, which many like, but many people disparage. Some owners of that lens may chime in. I had the 18-105 and like it pretty well, mine was the older non-VR version. I liked it because it gave me the fairly wide with a modest reach, for those shots where I could not get close enough. Also there is the 10-24, and the 18-300.
On the expensive side you have the fixed aperture 12-24, and 14-24s. If you want more reach then you are down to the inexpensive glass that are walk arounds at least that go wide as well. I only have one Tamron and I like it fine, it is the 28-300, but it is slow on focusing. Hence the reason it is the only one I have. I really only buy Nikon glass.

10 years 1 month ago #355945 by rtenny
Thanks for the detailed infos. I like the sound of the 18-200mm I will have a look at that and my be rent it for a weekend.

10 years 1 month ago #355957 by Shadowfixer1
A lot of people degrade the 18-200 lens. I have the first 18-200 that was sold in Atlanta. It's the first version and the second version is supposed to be better. All my images are made with this lens except for the bird shots and most macro work. I've never had anybody tell me my images would have been better with a different lens. You can look at my images and judge for yourself. I posted quite a few on here and you can look at my site. The 18-200 does everything I need on the D200. To each his own, but my copy is one fine lens and the perfect all around lens.

A couple of examples

img\def

img\def

img\def
10 years 1 month ago #356007 by effron
I wish I could find the site, but alas no. A few years ago I stumbled upon a Russian's website of some of the most stunning landscape photography I have yet to see, all shot with an 18-200 on a D40. A lens can make some difference, but the biggest factor is the operator (photographer), of course. Don't anguish, pick a lens that fits your eye and budget and shoot everything...... except brick walls! (I sold my DX cams but kept my 16-85 Nikon, which is maybe the best I ever owned in its class).....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #356071 by rtenny
Wow, great photos, very sharp and great colors, I will defo look at that lens.

10 years 1 month ago #356073 by rtenny

effron wrote: I wish I could find the site, but alas no. A few years ago I stumbled upon a Russian's website of some of the most stunning landscape photography I have yet to see, all shot with an 18-200 on a D40. A lens can make some difference, but the biggest factor is the operator (photographer), of course. Don't anguish, pick a lens that fits your eye and budget and shoot everything...... except brick walls! (I sold my DX cams but kept my 16-85 Nikon, which is maybe the best I ever owned in its class).....;)

Thanks for also recommending the 18-200mm I will check this out very soon.
thanks for all your comments

10 years 1 month ago #356077 by Screamin Scott
Some really super nice captures Randy....it's important to note that you use a good & proper technique for your captures.... I see many
"photographers" whose techniques leave much to be desired & crappy images would be the case no matter what lens they used... I'd be willing to bet that those that put the 18-200mm lens down, did so because of no fault of the lens...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #356103 by Joves

Screamin Scott wrote: Some really super nice captures Randy....it's important to note that you use a good & proper technique for your captures.... I see many
"photographers" whose techniques leave much to be desired & crappy images would be the case no matter what lens they used... I'd be willing to bet that those that put the 18-200mm lens down, did so because of no fault of the lens...

:agree: :goodpost:
And that is usually really the case. As an example the old 80-400 VR AF version. I have that lens and love it, and have heard people disparage that lens for years. Whenever I asked how long they used it, the answer was a very short time. There have been in all of my time a couple of lenses that were just plain junk no matter what you did with them. The rest that many complained about were used outside of their sweet spots, or people where using bad technique.
Come to think of that most of the bad lenses could get sharp images, but the chroma or distortion was always the problem. I did have problems with the one Sigma 50mm, in that it would never produce a good image. Fact is I just thought it was a bad copy that got off the line, and B&H exchanged them two more times, but all three were bad. It seems that they had a bad run of elements, because many other people had the same problem. I decided that the third time was the charm, and got the Nikon 50 instead. Since then I guess Sigma has really brought their QC up a lot since then.

10 years 1 month ago #356121 by Baydream
I have the Canon version of the 18-200 and it is great. This is about a 50% crop at the full 200mm end. The lens has amazing flexibility.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024