Help me decide which Nikon lens to get 85mm vs 105mm

10 years 2 weeks ago #356659 by Jackman
Here's the thing, I'm on a limited budget.  I can only afford to get one lens right now. I would like to have a macro lens, but also something that I can take portraits with.  The 85mm is said to be a really good prime for portraits, however the 105mm is said to be the macro of Nikon lenses.  From what I'm reading it looks like my best bet will be the 105mm for both portraits and macro.  Can someone please confirm? 

Thank you

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #356743 by effron
The modern version of the 105mm, f/2.8 VR it is.......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #356775 by Screamin Scott
Any macro lens in the 90-105mm range could do double duty... That said, I don't use any of my macro lenses for portraits. Why ? Because they were designed for close focusing. I have the 85mm Nikkor F1.8 if I want to do portraits. Now I know you are on a limited budget, but you don't say what that budget is, nor do you indicate what camera body you are using...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #356965 by Stealthy Ninja

Screamin Scott wrote: Any macro lens in the 90-105mm range could do double duty... That said, I don't use any of my macro lenses for portraits. Why ? Because they were designed for close focusing. I have the 85mm Nikkor F1.8 if I want to do portraits. Now I know you are on a limited budget, but you don't say what that budget is, nor do you indicate what camera body you are using...

While I agree totally... just because they're designed to focus close, doesn't mean they can't be used for portraits.  Especially if you're stopping down with studio lighting. What you said about aperture is legit though.

One legit problem with a macro lens is they can be too sharp and revealing for people.  Which is why my favourite lens to use for portraits is a wide aperture lens (85mm) as S.Scott suggested.  You can get some really nice, semi-soft, shallow DOF shots with it while maintaining sharp eyes.

Here's some samples from my collection that I could find on this computer:

Here's one taken at 1.4 with a Zeiss 85 1.4 (manual focus):

And here's Al Gore (105 2.8 ):

So as you can clearly see.  The 105mm 2.8 is a Democrat. 
10 years 2 weeks ago #357029 by effron

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: Any macro lens in the 90-105mm range could do double duty... That said, I don't use any of my macro lenses for portraits. Why ? Because they were designed for close focusing. I have the 85mm Nikkor F1.8 if I want to do portraits. Now I know you are on a limited budget, but you don't say what that budget is, nor do you indicate what camera body you are using...

And here's Al Gore (105 2.8 ):

So as you can clearly see.  The 105mm 2.8 is a Democrat. 

I see he was giving you the finger, too........

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #357037 by Stealthy Ninja
Yeh that happens. ;)
10 years 2 weeks ago #357135 by Joves
I am with Ernesto on this one. The 105 is a great lens for both. Now granted you could do some macro with the 85, if you got some tubes to use with it. But the 105 is a great lens for both. 

10 years 1 week ago #358343 by photobod
I have just bought the D800 and I have always wanted a quality Nikkor micro lens so I bought the 105mm, up to now I cannot fault the quality of this lens both for portrait and macro work, although my post processing has come into question (bright white eyes is all I have to say) 

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024