Looking for Nikon D3100 lens buying advise

10 years 4 days ago #370779 by mattcollins
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to photography but am seriously addicted to it lol. Firstly what I currently have:

Camera
Nikon D3100:

Lens
18-55mm 
55-200mm

I'm looking for some advise on where to go next lens wise. I love nature photography, but also looking to dabble more in portrait photography

I was thinking of maybe looking at my next buy being either:

105mm macro lens (currently struggling to get any really good close up shots, can this be achieved with tubes?)
70-300mm lens (as great as I find the 55-200mm I still struggle to get good shots of animals etc more than 50m away)

For portraits I've heard a good lens may be a 50mm lens

Also another question, is it worth sticking to Nikon/Nikkor lens or can the Sigma etc be just as good but cheaper?

Being a complete beginner any advise, criticism etc would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks,

Matt

10 years 4 days ago - 10 years 4 days ago #370795 by effron
The modern 105 f/2.8 VR is a great lens and versatile, portrait and macro. If you decide on the 70-300, make sure its the newer VR model, which has as much bang for the buck as any lens,  the non VR is junk. Your choice, but if you stay with photography you'll eventually own them both anyway....;)

With those two lens ranges, I'd stick with the Nikons....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 4 days ago #370817 by garyrhook
Tubes are a fine addition. There's a discussion thread here , and you can seem some recent shots in this thread .

I love my 105, and yes, it's great for portrait work. 50mm? Meh. If you want a wider aperture go for an 85 for portraits.

You might also consider a 24-70. Versatile, high quality. The Tamron would be a better choice than the Sigma, IMO, but the Nikon would be a first choice. I use an older Tamraon 28-75 (non-VR) and am perfectly happy with it. You just have to have good technique.

+1 on the 70-300, although if you really want to do wildlife you may find that a 500mm is a better choice. The Sigmas are not well-regarded at the far end of the range, from what I'm reading, but you may be perfectly happy.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 days ago #370963 by mattcollins
Thank you for the replies!

I think I'll aim for the 70-300mm first as thats the most affordable and then look to get the 105mm as I didn't realise this was good for portraits too!! 

Many thanks,

Matt

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024