How much is a Nikon D90 worth used?

9 years 10 months ago #377773 by Happy Hour
Just trying to come up with fair price to ask for my D90 so I can buy a new body.  The camera now has 31,254 shutter clicks on it.  The body has a couple small scratches but nothing major.  

Any idea of what the camera is worth?  

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #377857 by effron
Adorama, B&H and KEH as well as FleaBay are good sources to access a used camera's value.
Keep it and modify it for Infrared!.....:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #377935 by Don Fischer
Eight bucks but I'll do you a favor and send you $10! lol I've looked at used cameras quite a bit and it seem's to me they don't hold value very well. Four hundred bucks maybe? I think the problem is that they get upgraded before the first one get's sold. Saw a re-furbished D7000 a few weeks ago. $625! What does that do to the D90?

When I finally got into digital, I held out. I had three med format cameras, RB 67, Yashica 635, a Pentax 645 NII and a 35mm Nikon F5. I still have all of them for two reasons. First I like them. next  they aren't worth the price of an inexpensive lens today!

9 years 10 months ago #378566 by Happy Hour
Don you caught me off guard at first!  ha ha ha  

Thanks guys, I'm going to search around and see what I can find.  ;)  

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379542 by photobug1
I just got a quote from Samy's Camera on what the trade in value was on my D90 (body only). I had the original box, books, cable, charger, etc.  My camera was in great condition and I was only offered $200.00!! OUCH! I ended up giving it to my niece since she's getting into photography now. Would rather keep it in the family!

9 years 8 months ago #390557 by Jason Oldman

Photobug wrote: I just got a quote from Samy's Camera on what the trade in value was on my D90 (body only). I had the original box, books, cable, charger, etc.  My camera was in great condition and I was only offered $200.00!! OUCH! I ended up giving it to my niece since she's getting into photography now. Would rather keep it in the family!

Sounds about right for a price quote from a retailer, they need to make some money when they sell it.  I would sell it privately first.  If at the end, I just can't sell it and I have no interest in a IR conversion, then I might consider.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390575 by garyrhook
It appears that the going rate for the body (private sale) ranges from $275 to $400. That $200 seems about right.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #391257 by photogZ
I just bought a used D90 for about 450 a few weeks ago. I bought it from a friend who knew I was trying to get into photography more seriously.

I thought it was fair :)  but now i see I could have gotten it a little cheaper...

9 years 8 months ago #391559 by Joves
Yeah $200 to $350is what I am seeing all over. Cameras now are mini computers, and lose value like a new car driven off the lot. It is not like in the film days when they actually held value longer, well at least on the upper body end.  How I look at bodies is anymore is that they are considered pretty much disposable commodities. The real only investment end is the upper end glass. If I got $150 for my D300 would amaze me.

9 years 8 months ago #392949 by Vladimir
I'd just keep it and buy another one.  Use your D90 as a spare body.  I have a D300 and that's what I'm going to do when I upgrade to a D800.  I won't get anywhere near what I want for this camera, so might as well keep it and use as spare. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024