The AF-S 24-70 f2.8 "bump" issue

9 years 9 months ago #378819 by Sergiu

I’ve been staying away from this lens for a long time, butit’s getting harder to resist. The reason why I’ve been staying away from it is
something that I’ve come to learn is a common, almost classic problem with this
lens: the so called bump between 35mm and 50mm. The thing is I personally know
two people who have had bad luck with their lenses. I’ve tried them both and
they way to identify the problem is actually very simple. When you twist the
zoom ring, there is a slight resistance in the range I mentioned above. It’s
very obvious so you can’t really ignore it. The problem is that is also causes
the focus to misfire. These guys are also pros so you can imagine it wasn’t
really good for business.
But the biggest problem  is that  one of the guys had it serviced in Germany and,even though the lens started having this problem   twoweeks after he bought it ( so it was obviously covered by warranty), he still
had to pay to get it fixed. The explanation he got was astonishing. They said
it isn’t covered by warranty because it was obviously subjected to physical
shock and therefore they can’t cover it. The guy treated the lens with care
like any pro that makes this kind of investment, so no, he didn’t drop it. It
cost him another 1k$ to get it fixed.
I spoke about this to a Nikon dealer and the feedback hegave me about this lens is that it is an optical gem, but with 90s mechanics.
Have any of you guys ever had trouble with this lens? I amvery tempted by its optical performance (I mainly use primes) but I wouldn’t to
spend another 1K to get it fixed. 

9 years 9 months ago #378822 by Life
i've never heard of any lens repair costing 1k...

9 years 9 months ago #378832 by Alan Nunez
This is a great lens. I would not worry about the negatives you may have heard and go for it. 

NOTE: If you shoot with mainly prime lens the 24-70 is a very bulky lens in comparison which may take a bit of getting used to.

9 years 9 months ago #378847 by effron
There's no bump issue, with a new lens anyway. Its possibly the best zoom lens ever made. If you want to deny yourself, its up to you. As for me, you couldn't get mine for what I paid for it six years ago!....:side:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #378848 by effron
btw, I see no gear listed, are you a Canon plant?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #378866 by Scotty

Life wrote: i've never heard of any lens repair costing 1k...

Super-tele costs can be thousands for repairs.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #378999 by Sergiu
I shoot both systems actually. I have a D700, a Fuji S5 Pro that uses everyhting Nikon and a 5dMK2 that I use mostly for video. 

effron wrote: btw, I see no gear listed, are you a Canon plant?

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #379076 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote: There's no bump issue, with a new lens anyway. Its possibly the best zoom lens ever made. If you want to deny yourself, its up to you. As for me, you couldn't get mine for what I paid for it six years ago!....:side:

WRONG!  ;)

The Canon 24-70 2.8L II is better.  Also the 70-200 2.8L IS II and Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR II win best zoom lens in my book (it's a tie, I've used both a LOT).
9 years 9 months ago #379214 by effron

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

effron wrote: There's no bump issue, with a new lens anyway. Its possibly the best zoom lens ever made. If you want to deny yourself, its up to you. As for me, you couldn't get mine for what I paid for it six years ago!....:side:

WRONG!  ;)

The Canon 24-70 2.8L II is better.  Also the 70-200 2.8L IS II and Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR II win best zoom lens in my book (it's a tie, I've used both a LOT).

Wrong, the Canon version is only better on a Canon body. Keep your silly white lens......:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #379295 by Sergiu
I have to agree. It's hard to see a clear difference in build and image quality between them .

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #379340 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

WRONG!  ;)

Wrong, the Canon version is only better on a Canon body. Keep your silly white lens......:P

Oh yeah, that's right, you can't use Canon lenses on a Nikon body.  Whereas you can use (with an adapter) Nikon lenses on a Canon body.  Lots of landscape guys use the Nikon 14-24 on their Canon bodies (before the D800E came out that is).

Oh and the Canon white lenses are obviously better because they keep cooler in the sun. :P

Sergiu wrote: I have to agree. It's hard to see a clear difference in build and image quality between them .

Except the issue with the Nikon version where the rear node or whatever it's called breaks very easily (it happened to me and many other people).

There's a difference in image quality between the Nikon 24-70 2.8 and the Canon 24-70 2.8L II. Not a huge one, but it's there.  I've owned both.

Sure it's mainly in the corners and at 2.8, but you can tell the difference if you look at test charts at 100% :P  :P

www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-...&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

All fanboyism aside, the difference between the 24-70 and 70-200 from both camps is minor and certainly not worth jumping systems over.

The Nikon 28-300 is definitely better than the Canon 28-300 in all ways except build quality.
9 years 9 months ago #379345 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

effron wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

WRONG!  ;)

Oh yeah, that's right, you can't use Canon lenses on a Nikon body.  Whereas you can use (with an adapter) Nikon lenses on a Canon body.  Lots of landscape guys use the Nikon 14-24 on their Canon bodies (before the D800E came out that is).

Oh and the Canon white lenses are obviously better because they keep cooler in the sun. :P

Sergiu wrote: I have to agree. It's hard to see a clear difference in build and image quality between them .

Except the issue with the Nikon version where the rear node or whatever it's called breaks very easily (it happened to me and many other people).

There's a difference in image quality between the Nikon 24-70 2.8 and the Canon 24-70 2.8L II. Not a huge one, but it's there.  I've owned both.

Sure it's mainly in the corners and at 2.8, but you can tell the difference if you look at test charts at 100% :P  :P

All fanboyism aside, the difference between the 24-70 and 70-200 from both camps is minor and certainly not worth jumping systems over.

The Nikon 28-300 is definitely better than the Canon 28-300 in all ways except build quality.

You had problems with your nikon 24-70 because you dropped it and broke it. :x

The Canon is sharper than the nikon, because it's a newer design.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #379353 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

effron wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

WRONG!  ;)

You had problems with your nikon 24-70 because you dropped it and broke it. :x

The Canon is sharper than the nikon, because it's a newer design.

I did drop it, but it shouldn't have bent and locked the zoom mechanism like it did.   I didn't drop it very far (and the surface I dropped onto was padded), I've dropped kit lenses from higher and on harder surfaces and they're fine.  The Nikon 24-70 rear node or whatever it's called is notoriously weak and easy to distort so the zoom mechanism won't work.  I know I looked it up when it broke.  I was shocked "pro" glass could be so fragile (or maybe you could say poorly designed. 

Yeh newer design and so on.  Still sharper.
9 years 6 months ago #401257 by joemackay
My Nikon 24-70 had a "bump" issue after about four years. The problem would come and go and was an inconvenience more than anything. I sold the lens for a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 with VR. I needed the VR because I shoot a lot of drag shutter. Haven't regretted the change at all. It's the only non-Nikon lens I own other than Tamron's 90mm macro (also a great lens infrequently used).

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024