Nikon owners, will you use Sigma lenses?

9 years 10 months ago #380348 by Howard T
If any of you read my intro here, you would learn I just started photography about 1 year ago on a D7000 and recently just upgraded to a D800.  I have been reading some reviews on Sigma lenses and they look pretty good.   But I have also been told that you should stick with the same brand of lenses as your camera.  Honestly, I'm on the fence.  You read one thing online and quickly find something else advising against.  

You mind if I get your opinion?  

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #380350 by Screamin Scott
I've got any number of 3rd party lenses (Sigma,Tamron,Tokina & others)... You can't go by make, you have to compare individual lenses... Yeah, sticking with the OEM is nice, but not everyone can afford that & many of the current 3rd party offerings meet & in some cases exceed the OEM's offerings in IQ... Plus, the OEM's don't always have all the focal lengths covered... Look at my Flickr stream & most all of the macro images are from a 35 year old 3rd party macro lens . Many of the bird pics are with Nikkor lenses though.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #380384 by Joves
I used to use them back in the old film days of manual lenses for my Pentax. I used them once on digital with my D50 with their 50mm, but ended up with three bad copies. The focus was terrible on all three, and many other people had similar problems with other brand cameras as well. But since then my understanding is that they have become much better QC wise, and are putting out some great lenses. If I wanted or needed another lens then I might try them again. The only lens that appealed to me after the 50mm fiasco was the Sigzilla. But like I could afford $25K for a lens. 

9 years 10 months ago #380446 by Howard T
This is the feedback I was looking to hear, thanks everyone. 

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #380458 by garyrhook
I will chime in here.

+1 on "it depends upon the lens." I use a Tamron 28-75 that I'm quite happy with; I'm not sure if I will ever replace it with a Nikon 24-70.

A recent discussion on long focal lengths led to the conclusion that the Tamron 150-600 was worth owning.

Also, the assessment of 70-200 f/2.8 lenses puts the Nikon VRII at the top of the list, followed closely by the newest Tamron. Then the Nikon VR I, and Sigma last.

It depends upon the lens. There is no one answer, and Sigma has a few good offerings. But you must do your homework.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #380746 by cod
I agree with the depends on the lens crowd.  I have a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8,  Perhaps not as good as the Nikon but I wanted cheap and it is an excellent lens.  I also have the Sigma 180mm macro.  It's every bit as good as the manual focus Nikon 200mm macro I use to use.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

9 years 10 months ago #380763 by Stealthy Ninja
I own the Sigma 35 1.4 and it's amazing.

The new Sigma is really good, Canon/Nikon beating.

(I'm technically a Nikon owner BTW. I still have an old 50mm Nikon lens).
9 years 10 months ago #380835 by effron
I had the Sig 150 f2.8 and 105 f2.8 macros and miss them. My copy of the 105 was a really sharp one. The QC has really improved the last couple years and Sigma is a good bet. My only advice is buy one from a PROVEN dealer, (B&H, Adorama, even Amazon) so there is an easy thirty day return/exchange policy. I would do this for ANY lens purchase, btw......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381061 by Howard T
More replies that I'm thankful for.  Appreciate you all chiming in.  Good input.   I have to say, the gears are turning on a few of your mentions!  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #401250 by joemackay
While I'm not opposed to non-Nikkor lenses (Sold my Nikon 24-70 in favor of the Tamron 24-70 because of the VR) I will NOT buy Sigma lenses. After speaking with several rental firms, they uniformly tell me the Sigma's break down more than any thing else they rent. So...no Sigma's for me!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024