Nikon 50mm 1.8 vs 1.4 prime lens

9 years 7 months ago #402235 by Nathan D
I can't believe the price difference between these two 50mm lenses.  Can someone tell me why the 1.4 is so much more than the 1.8?  I understand that it has a wider aperture.  What else makes this lens so much more on the wallet?  From an image quality standpoint, is the 1.4 better?

Thank you

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402282 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402391 by Joves
Just look up the price on the f/1.2 which is a manual focus lens. Then you will feel like you are getting a good deal on the 1.4. Even the used ones in good shape cost more than either of those. In this hobby good glass costs you, and stops cost you even more on the wide end of them. It has always been that way.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/36976-USA...rmal_50mm_f_1_2.html

9 years 6 months ago #403643 by Wyrick Photography
Buy used and save the bucks

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #406597 by Kitzmiller

Wyrick Photography wrote: Buy used and save the bucks

True, but just be cautious from buying from private parties.  I just got burnt!  And the seller isn't answering his phone.  :evil:

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #406602 by Screamin Scott
 Was that thru an eBay auction ?

Kitzmiller wrote:

True, but just be cautious from buying from private parties.  I just got burnt!  And the seller isn't answering his phone.  :evil:

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #406736 by garyrhook

Kitzmiller wrote: True, but just be cautious from buying from private parties.  I just got burnt!  And the seller isn't answering his phone.  :evil:

Without details your anecdote is not at all helpful. But thanks for playing.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #406813 by Don Fischer
I have a theory about expensive lens. How good they really are just depends who's running the camera. If you couldn't take a really good photo with a 1.8 lens, 1.4 isn't gonna make it any better!

9 years 5 months ago #409083 by Brandon F
I use to have both and decided about 2 months ago just to sell my 1.8 because I didn't use it any more.  LOL I only got $70 bucks for it.  The 1.4 i much larger, faster, sharper and over all better lens IMO.  Which is why it cost more.  But I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist who in 2 weeks has his first paid gig! :banana:

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #410478 by Cathy Kadolph

Kitzmiller wrote:

Are you talking about Craigslist?  

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #410501 by effron

Cathy Kadolph wrote:

Kitzmiller wrote:

Are you talking about Craigslist?  

I'm betting it was fleabay. Its odd too, its all stacked against the sellers now.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #412702 by Simon Says
All of them are great lenses - none are perfect and all have their own characteristics.
At 1.4/1.8 if you sway just a bit you will miss focus as your DOF is probably less than a few inches depending on how far your subject it.

9 years 4 months ago #415478 by McBeth Photography

Joves wrote: Just look up the price on the f/1.2 which is a manual focus lens. Then you will feel like you are getting a good deal on the 1.4. Even the used ones in good shape cost more than either of those. In this hobby good glass costs you, and stops cost you even more on the wide end of them. It has always been that way.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/36976-USA...rmal_50mm_f_1_2.html

+1

After using my new-to-me 50/1.2 Ai-s, I'm convinced that even that one is a good deal...I am officially done with thinking about 1.8 vs. 1.4, lol. I still have the 50/1.8D but I'll save that one and use it on my N75 for trips to the coast. 

It is what it is.
9 years 4 months ago #415479 by McBeth Photography

effron wrote:
I'm betting it was fleabay. Its odd too, its all stacked against the sellers now.....

So true. I have almost quit selling on feebay, almost.

It is what it is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024