Good Cheap lenses for Nikon DSLR cameras?

9 years 5 months ago #408103 by Scooter
I don't have a lot of money like most of you money bags ;)  

Are there any good cheap lenses that are worth their weight?  I have a D300 and on a limited budget and would like to buy some new glass.  Can you make some suggestions?  

9 years 5 months ago #408104 by Screamin Scott
I don't know of any good "cheap" lenses. I do know however of good "inexpensive" lenses.... Since you shoot with a D300 (I also have one ) you can pick up older manual focus lenses or older auto focus lenses for a lot less than  the current crop of lenses go for. You lose AF on the older MF  glass, but it's no biggie, you still get metering in manual & aperture modes.... With the first AF lenses, they will AF & meter on the D300.... I have about 85 MF & AF lenses but I do not have "money bags"... I have been shooting since the late 60's & I have gotten these over a few decades.... BTW, I have very few current model lenses...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408128 by garyrhook
Yeah, that's kind of insulting, you know?

I work hard. My goal is to make enough money via photography to support my "habit". I'm not independently wealthy and I don't have everything I want. A lens purchase is about what I can put to work for me, so that it can pay for itself.

In the meantime, I choose to prioritize and do without.

I'll 2nd what Scotty says above: you can use older lenses on that body, or at the least buy used. It's a great way to save money.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408161 by effron
Good and cheap might not belong in the same sentence when considering Nikon glass. Good luck!!!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #408231 by Joves
Also if you choose to go to with manual focus they must be AI lenses, and not pre AI unless they have been modified. You can tell by the Indexer for the f-stop. The AI have a holes in the Indexer. Also the non-AI lenses base at the mount is flat all the way around, the AI have a notch in them for the Aperture control on the body. That is that little tab you see on the body. The non AI will either break that off, crush it, or jamb it so it is no longer functional. The bodies without focusing motors can use any Nikon lens. Also if you choose to go with MF glass look for E-Series because it tends to be less expensive used. If you lived here in the US I would say hit up KEH, but since you are in GB I do not know if you have an equivalent place. 

9 years 5 months ago #408308 by Scott Innes
One of my favorite lenses and it only cost me $132 was a 50mm f/1.8.  I love this lens and would recommend it. 

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409392 by Don Fischer
Hope this works. Guy is a Tamron Rep. Nothing bad about his photo's! He say's these photo's were done with a 16-300 Tamron.

www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthr...ue_Light#Post9294705

9 years 4 months ago #412703 by Simon Says
For primes, you can look at the 50mm f1.4 FX, and/or the 35mm f1.8 DX. I'd advise against the 35mm f2. 

9 years 4 months ago #412865 by garyrhook

Scott Innes wrote: One of my favorite lenses and it only cost me $132 was a 50mm f/1.8.  I love this lens and would recommend it. 

There was one posted on CL recently for $100. I am almost tempted, even though I don't really care for 50mm.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024