Thinking of buying a new lens

9 years 3 months ago #422872 by graciek91
Hello! 
So this year in May i have my first wedding booked (a beach wedding!). Which i am super excited for! I have done a few portrait sessions and a bit of landscape photography up until now but still have just the basic kit lenses. I am considering buying a Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Contemporary Lens for my Nikon D7000 from Digital Camera Warehouse online. So that i can photograph most of the wedding with the one lens and/or maybe use my 35mm Nikkor lens too. Is there anyone who has had any experience with this lens before or could recommend something similar? 

Would love some help as i am really trying to start my own photography business but just need a little guidance, 
Thank you in advance, 

Grace

9 years 3 months ago #422874 by garyrhook
For that focal length, get the Nikon. That said...

Using a single body for a wedding carries some risk; you might want to consider a backup body. A "beach wedding" implies you will be outside, which means plenty of light as long as the sun is up. When the sun sets, that lens won't do you any favors as it's not very fast. You might consider renting a 70-200 f/2.8, as your proposed lens would not be considered an event lens.

Have you been a second shooter at a wedding? Do you have a mentor? Weddings are difficult and stressful jobs, and there are no do-overs for must-have shots. Good luck.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: graciek91
9 years 3 months ago #422888 by effron
If you're going to rent a 70-200, rent a D750 or D4s right along with it.  The D7000 is a capable camera, but for weddings you are currently VERY under equipped. Grab as much experience as you can as well.  Try to get some second shooter gigs before the job date, believe me that will be more important than the gear....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: graciek91
9 years 3 months ago #422992 by graciek91
Thank you both for those great tips! I will definitely look into all of your lens and body suggestions. 

My husband and I were married in June 2014 and since then i have been receiving some mentoring from our wedding photographer (unfortunately she now lives in Maui and i'm in Australia). At the moment i have not had any second shooter jobs although i will continue to approach wedding photographers and see if i can get some gigs in the meantime. 
I have been informed that the bride and groom plan to do their whole wedding for under $5000, with only few guests. 

Although as a recent bride myself i understand the stress to have those 'perfectly timed' and 'must get' images. 
There is a first time for everything!

Thank you once again for help! 

9 years 2 months ago #423446 by Danny Carson
BTW www.borrowlenses.com/  is the best place to rent IMO.  Largest selection.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423583 by Joves
Normally Danny I would agree with you, but she is in Oz, so I do not believe they rent there.
I have to agree with Ernesto, and Gary in that you would be better off if you could rent a second body, and lens combination. Your camera will do the job actually, but as said lighting is either going to be your friend, or curse you. Especially if you do not even have a Speedlight as alternate/auxiliary  lighting. That is because the sun, or where it is coming from does not work for good photos either. The popup flash is worthless for that. I suggest you do some online searching for sites to help you with effective wedding photography, and do a crash course. That and practicing at home. And if your budget is restricting you that much you can get by with the 18-200, but may need to adjust the ISO to keep faster shutter speeds.

9 years 2 months ago #423589 by Hassner
If you are thinking of making wedding photography a job, you will never use the 18-200 again.
I know you have budget constraints, but because of that I do not want you to use the money on a lens meant for amateur tourists. As soon as you learn more, you will see the lens' constraints.

I hope you know the conditions on the beach. Is it very secluded? Will you have to dodge people in the background? Etc.
I would think of a 50mm 1.8 or if you can afford 1.4 for your couple shots to get the background out of focus.

Then rather save for the suggested lenses that you can hopefully rent now.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024