Nikon D300 or Nikon D3300 for first camera

8 years 11 months ago #438833 by TJ Pix
I'm new to photography and looking at two completely different cameras.  I was told a few months ago that the D300 (which is a used camera) was good camera to have.    I've also come across a Nikon D3300 that I can get new for about the same price.  This one has 24MP vs 12MP in the D300. 

Can you tell me which is a better buy please? 

8 years 11 months ago #438834 by Screamin Scott
I have a D300 & I also have a D7100 (24 mp).. I use them both. The D3300 is a base model DSLR & requires lenses with a built in focus motor in order to obtain auto focus. That limits you to the latest (& more expensive) lenses. The D300, while older technology, is an upscale body that can use the older AF lenses without the built in focus motors & can even use the older manual focus lenses & still have metering in manual & aperture priority modes. The D300 was Nikon's flagship (top of the line) in DX format at one point in time. If you do go with it, make sure it doesn't have too many shutter actuations (it's rated for about 150k IIRC) . KEH is a good outfit to buy used gear from...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439974 by MM Images
:agree: with Scott, I'd go with the D300, it's a better camera IMO.  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439990 by garyrhook
You're new to this. Don't pixel count. There's plenty of other, more important things to attend to.

Get the D300.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #440010 by Shadowfixer1
If you just want to snap some pictures, I say get the D3300. If you are looking at getting into photography as a serious hobby and learning the craft, get the D300. These are two different animals. The D300 is a professional quality piece of gear. The D3300 will produce nice images but the experience of shooting the images will be totally different.
8 years 11 months ago #440014 by tganiats
I agree with Shadowfixer1.   D300 a better camera (will bring you further), but D3300 better if you don't plan to go far.

8 years 11 months ago #440043 by No Show

tganiats wrote: I agree with Shadowfixer1.   D300 a better camera (will bring you further), but D3300 better if you don't plan to go far.

+1

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #440081 by Stealthy Ninja
Canon 5D series. Doesn't matter which one, all of them will be better than those cameras.
8 years 11 months ago #440107 by effron

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Canon 5D series. Doesn't matter which one, all of them will be better than those cameras.

If you don't mind focus issues and short battery life, go Canon.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #440186 by Joves

effron wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Canon 5D series. Doesn't matter which one, all of them will be better than those cameras.

If you don't mind focus issues and short battery life, go Canon.....;)

:rofl:
Let the pain begin.
Personally I hate the lower model bodies simply because they do not have a focus motor. I have the D300, and I must say that I will shoot with it until it gives up the ghost. It take my kind of lifestyle, which means abused. I am on my second LCD protector, because somehow they get cracked, in fact the one on it is cracked now. I am just going to leave it on to give it character. As Gary stated do not worry about the MP count too much.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tganiats
8 years 11 months ago #440215 by tganiats
I forgot the focus motor issue.  If the 3200 doesn't have a focus motor, then I am not sure.  Limits your lenses....but then most lenses you would buy new are OK.  I dunno....   Good point

8 years 11 months ago #440236 by effron
The lens issue probably only applies to old farts like Joves, me and a few others that are getting old as dirt and have lenses, like in my case nearing fifty years old. Of course a new shooter could be tempted by the older manual glass at yard, estate sales, pawn shops and Flea bay has tons. I'll sat this, the D300 is over eight years since release, and its still a better camera than the D3300, any Canon 5D mack whatever and probably any crop camera alive. Why Nikon abandoned the line is a mystery. 
Just get a low mileage D300 and be done with it....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joves
8 years 11 months ago #440363 by Stealthy Ninja
LOL if the focus on the D300 is anything like the D7000 I had, the 5D classic would do a better job.

As for battery life... lol. Canon/Nikon no difference.
8 years 11 months ago #440364 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote: I'll sat this, the D300 is over eight years since release, and its still a better camera than the D3300, any Canon 5D mack whatever and probably any crop camera alive.

Seriously, I've owned both Canon and Nikon. Here's a list:
Canon:
40D
5D Classic
5D II
1DIV
1DsIII
1Dx

Nikon:
D3s
D800
D800e
D7000

The worst of these by far was the D7000.  Which is supposed to be similar to the D300?  I guess so.  The best of the above is the Canon 1Dx or the Nikon D800e, depending on what you want to shoot.
8 years 11 months ago #440455 by Joves

Stealthy Ninja wrote: LOL if the focus on the D300 is anything like the D7000 I had, the 5D classic would do a better job.

As for battery life... lol. Canon/Nikon no difference.

:rofl:
That is a good one. If the D7000 had any focusing issues then it was nothing like the D300. Never had a single issue with it except for the normal times when AF on any camera screws up. If anything over the years, and across many forums it was always the Canon guys who needed this support number

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024