Nikon D300 or Nikon D3300 for first camera

8 years 11 months ago #440456 by Screamin Scott
Never had any focus issues with my D300. Nor my D7100. Of course I focus manually with older manual focus lenses more often than not & any AF issues I have had, have been  operator error

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #440466 by effron
Yeah, the D300 was a in different class by far than the D7000, of which I owned both. No issues with either camera though.
Not just guessing, Adrian.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #440505 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote: Yeah, the D300 was a in different class by far than the D7000, of which I owned both. No issues with either camera though.
Not just guessing, Adrian.....

D7000 was terrible at focusing.  Also, it lacked details... really not sure about the D300, the  D300 may well be better.

Still none are going to give superior images over even the 5D classic.

LOOK AT THIS:

LOL 
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #440506 by Stealthy Ninja

5D <-- Natural looking, detailed, minimal noise 
D300s ---> Noisy mess

Of course I'll admit the 5D/5Diii AF wasn't that great, but if you'r talking pure image quality, then the 5D series wipes the floor with the D300

Heck look at this (Ken Rockwell) shots comparing them:

Even the 5D beats the D300.  Much less smearing (ie more details).

As the Mighty KR says: "The  Nikon D300  is the worst"
8 years 11 months ago #440547 by effron
The question was D3300 or D300, so the Canon fanboy brings a full frame comparison into it? Talk about apples to oranges.....Then you evoke Rockwell?...
Hahahaha!!!!!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #440618 by Joves
:rofl:
Ken Crockwell that means it must be true. I know my D300's sensor is pure trash, and the AF truly sucks.

Also since it is a Nikon it cannot make a decent purple.

No detail at any speed can ever be expected from this camera.

Perhaps it is Ken who has the problem, and not the camera. These are the Jpegs I got out of the camera, that were only resized for posting.

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #440620 by Stealthy Ninja
Proof is in the images fellas.

As for dissing KR because he proved your sensor is inferior to the 5D/5Dii (both viable alternatives 2nd hand to the D300).

Description of Genetic Fallacy

A Genetic Fallacy is a line of "reasoning" in which a perceived defect in the origin of a claim or thing is taken to be evidence that discredits the claim or thing itself. It is also a line of reasoning in which the origin of a claim or thing is taken to be evidence for the claim or thing. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:

The origin of a claim or thing is presented.
The claim is true(or false) or the thing is supported (or discredited).
It is clear that sort of "reasoning" is fallacious. For example: "Bill claims that 1+1=2. However, my parents brought me up to believe that 1+1=254, so Bill must be wrong."

It should be noted that there are some cases in which the origin of a claim is relevant to the truth or falsity of the claim. For example, a claim that comes from a reliable expert is likely to be true (provided it is in her area of expertise).

Examples of Genetic Fallacy

"The current Chancellor of Germany was in the Hitler Youth at age 3. With that sort of background, his so called 'reform' plan must be a facist program."
"I was brought up to believe in God, and my parents told me God exists, so He must."
"Sure, the media claims that Senator Bedfellow was taking kickbacks. But we all know about the media's credibility, don't we."
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #440621 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote: :rofl:
Ken Crockwell that means it must be true. I know my D300's sensor is pure trash, and the AF truly sucks.

Also since it is a Nikon it cannot make a decent purple.

No detail at any speed can ever be expected from this camera.

Perhaps it is Ken who has the problem, and not the camera. These are the Jpegs I got out of the camera, that were only resized for posting.

So you're saying the D300 has a tendency to underexpose?

BTW I never said the D300 AF sucks, I said the D7000 AF sucks.  My above post was about image quality.  Websized photos from an iPhone will look similar (no offense, it's just resolution). :)

Nikon can do purple fine, it just messes it up often and gives you blue instead (or is it the other way around? I remember coming across this issue with the D3s).

Oh, none of those shots you posted would require AF better than what the D3200 will give.  I'm not saying the D300 AF isn't better though. :)
8 years 11 months ago #440622 by Scotty
Ken rockwell? oh boy.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #440623 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: Ken rockwell? oh boy.

Ken might troll at times, but the above images don't lie.
8 years 11 months ago #440625 by Stealthy Ninja
Let's compare the D300 to the D3200 then.

D3200 has smoother noise and more resolution (which can reduce noise again when pixel binning)  OH and the above is comparing to the D300s, which is a better camera than the D300 apparently.

So it depends what's important to OP.  IQ or AF.

NO doubt the D300 AF is fine, and if he plans to shoot a lot of sports then it's a good idea. If he plans on shooting landscapes, portraits or low light photography, then I'd say go for the D3200.  He probably won't notice the AF difference at this point anyway, rarely do people know the difference good AF can make until they need to do sports.  
8 years 11 months ago #440664 by effron
You're just trying to convince yourself on the Canon stuff.  Troll the Canon forums for more support.....:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #440925 by JaneK

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Let's compare the D300 to the D3200 then.

D3200 has smoother noise and more resolution (which can reduce noise again when pixel binning)  OH and the above is comparing to the D300s, which is a better camera than the D300 apparently.

So it depends what's important to OP.  IQ or AF.

NO doubt the D300 AF is fine, and if he plans to shoot a lot of sports then it's a good idea. If he plans on shooting landscapes, portraits or low light photography, then I'd say go for the D3200.  He probably won't notice the AF difference at this point anyway, rarely do people know the difference good AF can make until they need to do sports.  

Good post!

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #440932 by Screamin Scott
The D300, while older tech, can utilize many more older AF & manual focus lenses that the D3300 won't focus or meter with. Older lenses cost a lot less than current offerings (unless you are looking for super wide, super tele or super fast.) Add to that the fact that the D3300 is menu driven (in order to change shutter speeds, apertures, et al whereas the D300s is button driven, ergo faster to change settings= fewer missed shots. The D3300 is a base model camera & as such, doesn't have the same degree of weather sealing, not construction as the D300. Then you also have a pentaprism in the D300 but only a pentamirror in the D3300.... Slam dunk for the D300 in my book.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441284 by Oscar Cohen
+1 D300, don't forget to look at the used

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024