Nikon D300 or Nikon D3300 for first camera

8 years 10 months ago #441287 by Stealthy Ninja

Screamin Scott wrote: The D300, while older tech, can utilize many more older AF & manual focus lenses that the D3300 won't focus or meter with. Older lenses cost a lot less than current offerings (unless you are looking for super wide, super tele or super fast.) Add to that the fact that the D3300 is menu driven (in order to change shutter speeds, apertures, et al whereas the D300s is button driven, ergo faster to change settings= fewer missed shots. The D3300 is a base model camera & as such, doesn't have the same degree of weather sealing, not construction as the D300. Then you also have a pentaprism in the D300 but only a pentamirror in the D3300.... Slam dunk for the D300 in my book.

So it's good mechanics vs good pictures really.  I'd not call that a slam dunk seeing as the actual pictures are what photography is about. :P  But yeah, going through menus and such would be a pain in the butt. 

Older lenses are also not so sharp... just saying, nothing wrong with them of course, especially with the D300 and it's lack of resolving power and horrid noise at high ISO levels.  But if you want a low ISO, tight aperture (landscape) type lens, then it would be an OK choice since all lenses are sharp enough in those situations.
8 years 10 months ago #441288 by Screamin Scott
Take a look at my Flickr stream. There are many of the older images taken with the D300 & older manual focus lenses. IQ is comparable to anything more current, be it body or lens..... The older manual focus lenses were "Pro" quality optics & other than coatings, still compare to newer offerings...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #443340 by Roger3006

Screamin Scott wrote: Take a look at my Flickr stream. There are many of the older images taken with the D300 & older manual focus lenses. IQ is comparable to anything more current, be it body or lens..... The older manual focus lenses were "Pro" quality optics & other than coatings, still compare to newer offerings...

Ditto!!!  Many if my lenses were made before anyone knew what digital was.

The D300 is a pro quality metal body.  In my opinion, it is a whole lot more body if you want to start getting serious than the D3300.

Roger

8 years 10 months ago #443440 by China White
I would go with the D300, you can get some great deals on manual lenses like Scott said!

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #443793 by Uplander
+1 Ditto on the D300

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024