Portrait lens?

9 years 9 months ago #389726 by EB121
I'm interested on your opinions on a good (but not so expensive) portrait lens for Canon (T3i).
TIA!

9 years 9 months ago #389784 by KCook
You may or may not need a specialized lens for this.  See this thread -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/beginner-p...lenses-prime-vs-zoom

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 9 months ago #390580 by Score Photos
In my opinion, you'll never go wrong using a 50mm prime lens on a cropped sensor camera for portraits. It's going to be the best bang-for-the-buck lens for most applications including portraits.

9 years 9 months ago #390585 by JeremyS
For portraiture I typically will use a prime lens. any 50mm, 85mm or 105mm are commonly used in portraiture. 

9 years 9 months ago #390594 by ubookoo
85mm is my portrait prime of choice every time.

9 years 9 months ago #390617 by garyrhook
Oddly enough, a quick search through the PT forums reveals a large number of threads on this very subject. Here's 2:

www.photographytalk.com/forum/lenses/254...for-portraits#326293

www.photographytalk.com/forum/beginner-p...lenses-prime-vs-zoom

The latter contains pointers to other threads.

To directly answer your question, 85mm for portraits. The longer the better. I do not care for swollen, misshapen noses.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390633 by Shadowfixer1
The swollen misshapen nose is affected by subject distance as well as focal length. It's not all about focal length. I felt much the same as you until I saw how Joel Grimes worked. He uses his 24-70 a majority of the time. He doesn't get misshapen faces. Your answer is a good general rule but not the end all be all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
9 years 9 months ago #390680 by garyrhook
And a lens can be compensated for in LR, which I always do. Yes, geometry is everything, but some tend to overlook that because the short focal lengths "slim" the face. Blech. Mr. Grimes clearly compensates for distortion. He makes nice images.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390704 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: And a lens can be compensated for in LR, which I always do. Yes, geometry is everything, but some tend to overlook that because the short focal lengths "slim" the face. Blech. Mr. Grimes clearly compensates for distortion. He makes nice images.

I never saw him do anything in LR or PS to compensate for distortion. I was surprised at how normal his images looked shooting the 24-70 at roughly 50mm and fairly close. It changed my opinion of what can be done with shorter focal lengths. I saw him process several images and he never even made a reference in passing to that type of correction.
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #390754 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

garyrhook wrote: And a lens can be compensated for in LR, which I always do. Yes, geometry is everything, but some tend to overlook that because the short focal lengths "slim" the face. Blech. Mr. Grimes clearly compensates for distortion. He makes nice images.

I never saw him do anything in LR or PS to compensate for distortion. I was surprised at how normal his images looked shooting the 24-70 at roughly 50mm and fairly close. It changed my opinion of what can be done with shorter focal lengths. I saw him process several images and he never even made a reference in passing to that type of correction.

I'm going to go with "that's impossible." He probably had basic adjustments done on import (if he was using LR). Mine automatically applies lens profile correction and I never even think about it any more.

PS, a different story; I'm not familiar enough with its intricacies. But I think we all agree that lens geometry doesn't magically change just because an accomplished photographer is taking the photograph.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390810 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

I'm going to go with "that's impossible." He probably had basic adjustments done on import (if he was using LR). Mine automatically applies lens profile correction and I never even think about it any more.

PS, a different story; I'm not familiar enough with its intricacies. But I think we all agree that lens geometry doesn't magically change just because an accomplished photographer is taking the photograph.

Whatever Gary. I know what I saw with my own eyes. I'll just leave it at that.
9 years 9 months ago #390829 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Whatever Gary. I know what I saw with my own eyes. I'll just leave it at that.

Please forgive my tendency to prattle on unnecessarily.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024