Find portraiture difficult

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #427443 by Wendy-May
Looking for constructive criticism please re: this shot: 

Should maybe add that I took this photo in a small space.  Used two lights - one for backlight and one for fill.  I know the fill light should have been more powerful than the backlight (mine were both equal power), but I have no way of turning them up or down.  They are just basic starter lights (or should I say, soft boxes).  Not sure if the photo looks a bit flat or not.  I'm not particularly keen on flat lighting on faces and like to see shape via shadows.  Crit re: tones, light, contrast, etc appreciated.  

9 years 1 month ago #427451 by KCook
Backlight?  For this particular framing the backlight seems to contribute very little.

2 lights, backlight and fill.  Ok . . . but what was the main light???  The character of the main light is the key to any studio shot.  Even if you were using ambient light for the main light, the nature of that ambient counts, a LOT!  And your description makes no mention of that.

I think the composition and posing are quite nice, likely better than I could do (I'm really a landscape guy).

The deep black background is a questionable choice.  Obviously a middle grey would be bad, but I think a light gradient, or sumthin, would help "un-deaden" the background.

Getting good light on both faces (which is achieved here) is bound to result in a look that is a little flat.  This can be perked up a little by using a more narrow main light.  Which is pretty much impossible with ambient room light or a softbox.  Unless it is easy to remove the diffusion face from the softbox, that will sometimes give more direct lighting.  So think about trying a common bowl shaped reflector (preferably with barndoors) instead of always using a softbox.

I'm not a fan of selective color.  Deliberately muted colors sometimes give a special feel to a shot, but these red lips in a B&W just come across as odd.

Contrast is a little low, very easy to fix in post processing.

If "basic starter lights" means CFLs, that can be pretty darned limiting.  The nice composition and pose here tell me that you are serious about this.  Eventually think about getting some more serious lights, along with a variety of modifiers.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 1 month ago #427474 by Wendy-May
Thanks Kelly.  This is really helpful.  I see what you mean about the contrast having been away from the photo for a couple of hours.  Also, a gradient bg would have been good like you mentioned.  I wish I had left off the selective colour, but will remember this for future.  Re: barndoors - would love this type of lighting and will have to save.  Thank you again for your help.  Really much appreciated. 

9 years 1 month ago #427489 by KCook
Erm, you can easily undo that selective color in post, so long as you have the original RAW image file.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 1 month ago #427501 by classicjazzTess
I agree with all KCook said. your need to add fill light to the main light, where that is I can not tell. Also, sometimes it is helpful to know your camera settings in order to help with the critique, just sayin~ The image is really nice, love the feel & composition! Great Job! I by far am not an expert, as I have only started using off camera flash.  If this is an area in your home, just practice with different layouts for lighting, using window lighting is almost my first choice, more natural then bounce your 2nd light just to fill in. Keep Practicing is my motto! Also, I would loose the red lips, just not working with the B&W~ Good Luck, would love to see more images!

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427572 by Simon Says
Beautiful for sure!

9 years 1 month ago #427765 by Wendy-May
Thanks everyone who responded.  I wish I kept the original but I didn't!!!  Will in future however.  Will take what you all have advised and study it for better results (hopefully) in future. 

9 years 1 month ago #427767 by Hassner
You look young enough to be from the digital era only. Remember that your original image (raw or jpg) should be seen as your negative and always be kept.

I hate studio lighting, (too much work) so I will not comment there. The mother's top I felt was too contrasty and took a lot of attention away from the faces. I like the fact that it leads the eye in, but a light grey and white or black and dark grey would have worked for me.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #427916 by Renee15
Do you shoot RAW...? If so you can "undo" the selective color here and start over... Nice details on everything...love the pose.

Renee recently joined and posted new images tonight.

9 years 1 month ago #429143 by Travel Nut
Really impressive.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024